Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on August 30, 2011, 10:35:32 pm

Title: Topaz B&W
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 30, 2011, 10:35:32 pm
How does the just-released Topaz B&W compare with Nik's Silver Efex Pro ?

Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: Eric Kellerman on August 31, 2011, 06:34:54 am
My first impression is that it is somewhat clunky and rather slow. Admittedly, I'm used to Silver Efex.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: howardm on August 31, 2011, 07:12:26 am
I haven't tried it but it's been my experience (like so much other software) that many plug-in's need a major version or two to 'mature' WRT speed and features
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: Eric Kellerman on August 31, 2011, 08:18:36 am
I haven't tried it but it's been my experience (like so much other software) that many plug-in's need a major version or two to 'mature' WRT speed and features

That was certainly the case with Re-Mask, which really hums now.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: Tim Gray on August 31, 2011, 06:05:12 pm
Only played with Topaz for a short while.

I like the histogram in NIK and the presets seem to make more sense.  Topaz has more, but there are fewer useful ones.
Performance - neither gets in the way nor is blazingly fast.
I find the local adjustments in Topaz more instinctive using the masking model rather than NIKs  local "pins"
I don't like the slider behaviour in Topaz in that you have to release the mouse/pen to see the effect.  That may get fixed eventually.
Particularly with the early rebate, Topaz is significantly cheaper.

Some have criticized the Topaz plugins generally as being a bit heavy handed, but with a light touch they seems fine to me.  

I am a fan of Topaz Adjust, and use some of their other plugins - detail, and de-noise occasionally.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: K.C. on September 18, 2011, 12:28:21 am
I bought it and like it. I'll undoubtably improve with revision, they're a great company in that respect, but it's very good right now.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: AlanPezzulich on September 22, 2011, 06:26:32 pm
I have both. Topaz issued an upgrade today which fixed some problems. I see two major differences.

Local adjustments are made with control points in Silver Efex and are made with an edge aware adjustment brush in Topaz. For a given image one of these may work a lot better than the other. I have found that the control points in Viveza work better than the ones in Silver Efex (before the color data is disgarded.).

Silver Efex has fewer non photographic effects. Topaz has effectrs like making a photo look sort of like a painting. If you do not use these and you watch the slider settinge both programs produce very good results.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: JimAscher on September 23, 2011, 04:54:46 pm
I am very pleased with my Silver Efex Pro 2, but thought I would have a look at the trial version of Topaz B&W, which I can operate as a plug-in edit to Photoshop.  I was especially tantalized by the special price of $29 which is good to October 3.  In my brief experimentation with the trial version (which unfortunately doesn't permit you to save any edited photos apparently unless you purchase) it looks like it would be a fairly nifty addition to SEP2, offering far more pre-sets and different editing options.  However, it doesn't download directly as a Lightroom plug-in.  According to Topaz instructions you also need to download and install the free Topaz Fusion application for Lightroom to have direct plug-in access to B&W Effects.  And though I'm not generally stymied by semi-esoteric download and installation  requirements, I can't get the Fusion/B&W Effects plug-in to work with Lightroom.  So, I guess I'll just stick with SEP2.  I suppose I could go from Lightroom to Photoshop to B&W Effects for editing, but I don't want the hassle of then trying to get the final edit to save in Lightroom without needing to go to the Lightroom Export and Import route.  

CORRECTION:  I have learned that you can get a free key code that gives you a full-featured version for use for 30 days.  I did get this code and installed it, and now it works as a direct Lightroom plug-in.  But the process for this Lightroom installation was fairly complicated, but there are detailed instructions in Topaz, which must be followed quite precisely.    
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: walter.sk on October 03, 2011, 10:54:07 am
Having used Nik SilverEfex Pro (current and earlier versions) since it came out, I am a devoted fan, and my control over B&W conversions has benefited substantially, with less work than would be needed in Photoshop proper.
I almost did not try Topaz B&W, even though I really like a number of their programs, because I felt that they would have a long way to go to approach the capabilities of the NIK software.

Well, the experimenter in me won out, and I bought the Topaz B&W.  My first couple of tries with it showed me that it is potentially every bit as powerful as the NIK, although different in concept.  I also like the ease with which some of the artsy stuff can be applied, and I am not ashamed to say that I enjoy making traditional images as well as the "altered reality" genre.

I found the Topaz adjustment brush as easy to use as the control points in the Nik, and I trust that Topz will continue its wonderful policy of truly frequent and meaningful upgrades.

Disclaimer:  I do not work for either company.
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: JimAscher on October 03, 2011, 11:30:18 am
Having used Nik SilverEfex Pro (current and earlier versions) since it came out, I am a devoted fan, and my control over B&W conversions has benefited substantially, with less work than would be needed in Photoshop proper.
I almost did not try Topaz B&W, even though I really like a number of their programs, because I felt that they would have a long way to go to approach the capabilities of the NIK software.

Well, the experimenter in me won out, and I bought the Topaz B&W.  My first couple of tries with it showed me that it is potentially every bit as powerful as the NIK, although different in concept.  I also like the ease with which some of the artsy stuff can be applied, and I am not ashamed to say that I enjoy making traditional images as well as the "altered reality" genre.

I found the Topaz adjustment brush as easy to use as the control points in the Nik, and I trust that Topz will continue its wonderful policy of truly frequent and meaningful upgrades.

Disclaimer:  I do not work for either company.


Walter:  I have been away on vacation and have not really been able to run my trial version of Topaz B&W through its paces.  However, the 50% reduction in its price expires at the end of today (October 3) so principally on the basis of your recommendation (as another stalwart Silver Efex Pro 2 user) I have purchased the Topaz B&W.  I figure at that reduced price, I really have very little to lose.  Your favorable posting came just in time for me, as I returned home just yesterday.  Many thanks.  Jim
Title: Re: Topaz B&W
Post by: walter.sk on October 04, 2011, 10:35:01 am
Hope you like it!  I've experimented more with the Topaz and it continues to hold its own.  I will use it and the NIK depending on the particular image.