Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MarkusZ on August 28, 2011, 06:22:18 am

Title: Greenland impressions
Post by: MarkusZ on August 28, 2011, 06:22:18 am
Hi,
my name is Markus and i would like to introduce myself here with some compositions from my recent trip to Greenland. Maybe i´m a exotic photographer here because im shooting only midsize format film 6x7 but i hope it´s also interesting for the digital followers. Both are done with a Mamiya 7II and PanF+Redfilter. I like the look of the Triptychon because it looks like a pencil drawing and I think the grain here is caused by the long exposure time. This was done at the inlandice about 180 km away from the coastline. The second one is from nothwest Greenland close to Ilulissat.
Good light
Markus
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 28, 2011, 06:32:36 am
I like both of them, for different reasons. As you say, that first one has the look of a pencil drawing, & I quite like that. The second one is really nice & I'd love to see it printed large.
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: Josh-H on August 28, 2011, 08:44:02 am
I quite like the composition of the second - but I find my eye drawn to the sort of black amorphous blob in the lower left hand corner and it therefore detracts from the experience of the image.
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 28, 2011, 09:11:45 am
Thks for sharing.

I like the second one but also find that there is perhaps a tiny bit too much water in the foreground.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: MarkusZ on August 28, 2011, 10:35:55 am
Hi,
thx for your critics guys. I was forced to use f4 in the second shot becaus of the moving icebergs, 50ASA and the redfilter. I thought the small depth of field is usefull here and I choosed a comp with more unsharp foreground that leads the eye to the subject.
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: RSL on August 28, 2011, 11:53:05 am
... there is perhaps a tiny bit too much water in the foreground.

I agree. Time for a crop. What joy!
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 28, 2011, 12:08:49 pm
I agree. Time for a crop. What joy!
Hey, Russ! Somebody hacked your LuLa account!

But I agree with the hacker that a bit of cropping here may be called for.

Eric
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 29, 2011, 02:07:38 pm
I agree. Time for a crop. What joy!
Wow! A first?

I agree entirely, though: the second is a stunning shot which would look much better with a bit less water.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Greenland impressions
Post by: EduPerez on September 06, 2011, 02:47:02 am
The light in center of the second picture is stunning; well done.