Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2011, 05:48:36 pm

Title: for the birds
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2011, 05:48:36 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: pegelli on August 19, 2011, 03:55:58 am
3 days, 54 views and no comments.
Let's reverse that trend  ;).

My comment is that it's a classical pleasing composition.
The rendering of some of the tonal values isn't totally to my liking. Feels like a large part in the middle is missing with a bi-modal distribution (haven't checked). For the walls/windows it's no problem (nicely brings out the textures) but the effect on the bikes is a bit harsh.
I like the toning
I don't understand the title, or are the birds leaving their droppings on the seats?
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 20, 2011, 01:01:28 pm
Thanks for noticing!

I take your point about the bikes: I'll see if I can do anything to soften them a little without affecting the rest of the image or making it look silly.

You have understood the title perfectly. I think it's been a while since anyone sat on those saddles.

Jeremy
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: pegelli on August 22, 2011, 03:26:32 am
You have understood the title perfectly. I think it's been a while since anyone sat on those saddles.

Upon closer inspection I now see that they are not decorations put there by the bike owners :-[
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2011, 10:24:23 am
Upon closer inspection I now see that they are not decorations put there by the bike owners :-[
That was my problem, too. I couldn't see enough detail on the bike saddles to tell what the mottling was.
It's a nice image overall, but I wasn't sure of the "birds" reference.

Eric
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: RSL on August 22, 2011, 11:02:30 am
Jeremy, Let me second Eric's comment. It's the kind of image I like very much and shoot whenever I get the opportunity, but the "birds" thing mystified me.
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 22, 2011, 01:47:54 pm
Jeremy, Let me second Eric's comment. It's the kind of image I like very much and shoot whenever I get the opportunity, but the "birds" thing mystified me.
Well, that will teach me to try to be obscurely witty and overreach myself! It's a bad habit of mine, I'm afraid.

Maybe I should just have called it "bikes against the wall (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57212.msg399526;topicseen#new)".

Jeremy
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2011, 04:24:14 pm
Maybe I should just have called it "bikes against the wall (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57212.msg399526;topicseen#new)".

Jeremy
Yup.
But you could have cleaned the seats before photographing them.   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: for the birds
Post by: Justan on August 23, 2011, 10:18:01 am
^ :D ;D