Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: jjyang on August 12, 2011, 12:36:02 am

Title: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: jjyang on August 12, 2011, 12:36:02 am
1.

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/6004465454_ae899c44fb.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48863428@N03/6004465454/)


2.
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/6034522388_bb25b516b3.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48863428@N03/6034522388/)
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: John E on August 12, 2011, 11:05:48 am
I don't think the buildings in the remote distance add much to this shot and, considering the "old-timey" sepia look you've applied, I prefer the second version
John
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: louoates on August 12, 2011, 01:31:12 pm
I like the composition in the second one also. But I prefer the toning of the first one but a bit less intense. The houses are a minor distraction in the first, I feel, especially with the large space between them and the wagon. One option that came to mind is to keep the houses and simply compress the open fields so the houses are closer to the wagon.
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: fike on August 12, 2011, 03:14:42 pm
I tend to go with gut reactions here, and before I even visually decoded the contents of the image, I preferred the subject positioning in the vertical composition. I agree that the subject and background are a bit incongruent, but that may be more a function of your choice to make it a sepia image. 
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 13, 2011, 04:15:28 am
I'll add my vote for the second one. FWIW, I think you've overdone the vignetting.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: Cannes on August 13, 2011, 09:29:16 am
i prefer the first one, have some special feeling bout those buildings.
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on August 13, 2011, 06:04:37 pm
I definitely prefer the first one.  The farmland and buildings show the entire environment associated with the people in the buggy, which tells more of a story than just the buggy itself.

Lisa
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: jjyang on August 15, 2011, 03:04:12 am
I like the composition in the second one also. But I prefer the toning of the first one but a bit less intense. The houses are a minor distraction in the first, I feel, especially with the large space between them and the wagon. One option that came to mind is to keep the houses and simply compress the open fields so the houses are closer to the wagon.


That's a great idea! Thanks! I will post that after the compress.
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: jjyang on August 15, 2011, 03:06:18 am
I'll add my vote for the second one. FWIW, I think you've overdone the vignetting.

Jeremy

Thanks, I will PS again.
Title: Re: Amish...which one you like?
Post by: KevinA on August 18, 2011, 08:46:11 am
1.

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/6004465454_ae899c44fb.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48863428@N03/6004465454/)


2.
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/6034522388_bb25b516b3.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48863428@N03/6034522388/)
I would knock the contrast down on both and less sharpening if I was trying to create an old world look and softer more progressive vignetting.

Kevin.

www.treewithoutabird.com