Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Didymus on August 04, 2011, 10:41:50 pm
-
I just stretched a canvas print for the first time. I'm very happy with the stretch and how the corners turned out. However, the edges of the canvas as well as the folds on the corners were black but the ink seems to have rubbed off. So the edges and folds are now slightly white. This happens to be the one photo that I printed with photo black ink. I did spray the canvas with Hahnemuhle protective spray. What is the cause for this?
Tommy
-
Sounds like the ink has cracked (seperated) on the sharp edges from the stretching, rather than rubbing off, maybe you overdid the stretch?
I am not familliar with that Spray, but it may not soften the ink enough to prevent cracking as does a coating like Eco Print Shield.
David
-
While Hahnemuhle lists the spray under the canvas section of the website, I don't believe it's really appropriate for canvas protection.
For your existing stretched canvases that flaked, try some of the suggestions in these threads for ways to patch the missing ink:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41983.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=20535.0
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45628.0
Neil
-
Cool, thanks for the help.
-
I'll echo what was already said... the spray you used likely didn't soften the ink and canvas enough to stretch. I also use Eco Print Shield. Expensive but the best IMO.
Anyway, I replied to basically tell you the print isn't ruined. If you have an empty black ink cartridge then crack it open and cut the bag inside containing the ink. Very small cut or you'll have ink running everywhere. Use a small brush or even a Q-Tip and touch up the cracks. Spray again when the ink is dry and you should be good to go.
If you want to continue using that spray you could also use a spray bottle and spray a bit of water on the back of the canvas just before stretching to soften things up. That of course is assuming you used a water resistant canvas to print on.
-
Okay, thank you