Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: keith_cooper on July 30, 2011, 04:56:20 am
-
If it's of interest I've just written up some notes about the new ColorMunki Display
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_display.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_display.html)
It's a bit longer than usual since I've tried to address a few more of the basic 'why I should use it' issues. As such, it may err on the side of simplification for some of this forum's more knowledgeable members, but then it's written for a wider audience ;-)
Since I've now got both the i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display devices here, it's been interesting to compare them in use. I was surprised at the level of functionality found in the ColorMunki Display - more than enough for most users. The software is also noticeably easier to use than the still somewhat '1.0' feel of i1Profiler.
In terms of profile accuracy, I couldn't see any real differences between the devices - however I don't have the necessary equipment to measure this absolutely, or the patience to get into real quantitative analysis of the numbers - fortunately there are others that this sort of thing does appeal to ;-)
I set up a projector with the ColorMunki Display and also both the i1Display Pro and i1Pro+Beamer (using i1Profiler) - all three produced virtually identical results, with a slight over saturation and loss of detail in saturated areas. Much better than with no profiling, but I know the projector can do better...
-
Great review, thank you.
I'm one of those on the fence over which of these to buy from my new 27" iMac.
-
After re-reading your article and many of the threads here, and on other forums, I bought the i1Display Pro. I decided having the option of targeting a specific white point and luminance are well worth the small additional cost.
After the rebate for my old i1Display 2 I'm spending $65 for the added control. If I save a few sheets of paper and an hour of my time that's money well spent.
-
Great - glad it was of interest!
The ColorMunki is very effective, but perhaps not aimed at someone who would regularly come to -this- forum to find advice ;-)