Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: fetish on July 27, 2011, 09:08:43 am

Title: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: fetish on July 27, 2011, 09:08:43 am
Here's something I knocked together from ikea spare parts to assist me in loading large rolls >50" onto the 11880 alone.
the material I used for the supporting bands are cut from cheap ikea translucent roller blinds.

(http://www.lateral-i.com/stuffs/photoe.jpg)

total cost of entire shelf is about 40USD converted.

thought I'd share it with you guys.  ;D

pardon the wall behind, my office renovation is not fully completed yet.  :-X
Title: Re: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: neile on July 27, 2011, 01:40:38 pm
Brilliant.
Title: Re: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: Clearair on July 27, 2011, 02:56:38 pm
Now I know why your handle is Fetish.
 iRespect

Regards
Title: Re: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: fetish on July 27, 2011, 11:54:09 pm
Thanks guys~

I got the idea from the heavy ammunition carriers we had when I was in the army.  8)
I do my printing alone so I'm constantly trying to find ways to improve my workflow. Large canvas I can handle, but it's difficult to load a 60-64" roll of PAPER like the ilford pearl ALONE without some serious muscle (which I think I do not have), and chances are I'll end up either damaging the paper or something in the surrounding area or both.

Now I'm working on ways to more efficiently store my open rolls. I built one of those paper stands that shadesofpaper sells. It's good design that stores open rolls standing vertically but could be better especially when handling large rolls (again). I'm thinking of a design that allows everything to be done in a horizontal fashion.
I've a couple of ideas in my head but it would be good if you guys can throw a bit of wisdom in my direction in regards to design and what to take note of.
Title: Re: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: neile on July 28, 2011, 12:58:42 am
Andy Biggs has done that vertical rack idea in his studio. You can see it at http://www.theglobalphotographer.com/the-global-photographer/2009/9/2/my-printing-studio.html.

Neil
Title: Re: DIY large roll media loading assist
Post by: fetish on July 28, 2011, 05:21:18 am
Andy Biggs has done that vertical rack idea in his studio. You can see it at http://www.theglobalphotographer.com/the-global-photographer/2009/9/2/my-printing-studio.html.

Neil

woah that's neat!
I guess I can machine a couple of spindles if i'm gonna adapt this concept since I'm only using 1 printer model..
Thanks Neil!