Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Baxter on July 23, 2011, 03:30:25 pm

Title: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: Baxter on July 23, 2011, 03:30:25 pm
New MBP arrived this week. Having got all the software sorted, it was time to calibrate the monitor. So far this has been unsuccessful in getting a neutral profile.

I've tried several settings for the software but am consistently getting a green cast to the monitor. I'm using latest software Eye-One Match v3.6.3. OSX10.6.8. Room is neutral colours and where I calibrate other computer monitors. The Eye-One Display functions perfectly well on my Eizo Flexscan LCD and also my four year old MBP 15in

Luminance is 113 (closest I can get to either 110 and 120), WB at 6000 or 6500 and gamma 2.2. I've tried designating as both Laptop and LCD monitor, no difference in outcome.

Without the calibration, there's a slight magenta cast. When performing the calibration, the overall green cast appears about half way through. When the profile is made and shown in the last window, the green channel is well above the Red and Blue at the midtones and highlights.

Any ideas please?
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: digitaldog on July 23, 2011, 05:18:34 pm
Try native gamma and white point. Any better?
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: Baxter on July 23, 2011, 06:10:59 pm
Many thanks Andrew

It is better because the unsightly green hue has gone. It now looks slightly blue and not like my other monitors. Switching between this and the Apple supplied OSX profile, I think I prefer the latter. Are there any other amendments I can make in order to become more neutral than at present please?



Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: digitaldog on July 23, 2011, 06:40:44 pm
You can try a warmer WP but don’t go to far from native if possible. In the end, its a MBP display so don’t expect perfection.
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: shewhorn on July 23, 2011, 09:59:21 pm
My experience with the i1 Display and i1 Display 2 is that they cannot handle the white LED backlights that Apple (and other manufacturers) use in their screens. My i1 Display 2, and DTP 94 both yield 1) inconsistent results from profile to profile on the MBP screen and 2) profiles with color casts. I get much better results with the Spyder 3 or Eye One Pro (spectrophotometer). In theory the new I1 Display Pro should be able to handle it but there's a few issues with the software that make me less than enthusiastic about it (you can still get it to do the job though). I'd suggest the Spyder 3 Elite or the El Cheapo Spyder (about $60 bucks from B&H) with Color Eyes Display Pro for the MBP.

Cheers, Joe
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: Baxter on July 24, 2011, 03:42:46 am
Thanks again for advice.

I tried again this morning. Setting gamma to 2.2 with Native White point has produced a clean profile and the monitor is looking much better. Following this I re-profiled with 6500 again and produced the same green tinge.
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: eronald on July 24, 2011, 05:57:06 pm
I recommend people buy ColoMunki - it'll calibrate anything for years to come, and can even make paper profiles in a pinch :)

Edmund
Title: Re: Eye-1 Display weird profiles for latest MBP 17in non-glossy monitor
Post by: Scott Martin on July 24, 2011, 06:07:37 pm
Green means your EyeOneDisplay2 device has gone bad, which I've seen happen countless times. If you can modify the xy co-ordinates that will help but cause other problems. They are well aware of this issue and I've seen them replace devices quickly without question. Call them and see what they can offer.