Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: evgeny on July 22, 2011, 08:58:35 am
-
Hi,
my H4D-40 camera came with the SanDisk 8Gb 60 Mb/s UDMA card.
I tried to replace the SanDisk card with a bigger and faster Transcend 16Gb 600x 90 MB/s UDMA Card.
The camera prompted to format the new card, but after formatting completed, the H4D-40 won't see the Transcend 16Gb 600x card. "No Card" message is displayed on the screen of digital back.
Can H4D-40 work with Transcend 16Gb 600x UDMA Card? What is wrong?
Thanks
Evgeny
-
I was having the same banding problem with another back (SINAR 75 LV), and the dealer recommended that I format my cards in my CANON camera (1Ds M2), I did and it has been my practice to do that since then. The back manufacturer has since then improved the format function, but I continue to re-format using my Canon instead, still working.
Jerry
-
I just tried an older 16Gb SanDisk card, it works without issues. Looks like the H4D doesn't recognize the Transcend branded cards.
-
I just tried an older 16Gb SanDisk card, it works without issues. Looks like the H4D doesn't recognize the Transcend branded cards.
Until someone with a definitive answer jumps in, I thought I'd suggest you check that you've updated your firmware to the latest available for your back? If not that's definitely worth a shot (though I'd contact your dealer rather than play in the dark or wait for forum answers).
I don't keep track of which cards Hassy supports on each firmware version, but for Phase and Leaf it's definitely the case that sometimes brand new cards (the latest/greatest/fastest/largest) are not supported on older firmware and sometimes new firmware offering support lags a few weeks/months after the release of such cards. [example Phase One list of CF cards supported/tested by firmware version (http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/02/24/cf-card-compatibility-2/)]
Again, not meaning to butt in to a Hassy thread (I see nothing brand-specific positive or negative here) and I'm only commenting to help him out until he either speaks with his dealer or someone else can post a definitive in-the-know response.
Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) ([email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/") | RSS Feed (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/")
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/buy-capture-one/")
Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8) (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/06/30/nelandscape/")
-
Hi Doug,
thank you for the advice.
I received the camera from local dealer a few days ago.
I installed today the latest firmware "Camera_Body_firmware_H4D_cb110708" in the body.
The digital back come with the R361 firmware, so I skipped installation of the "Sensor Unit firmware H4D-40-50-200MS___R361".
The Transcend 600x UDMA Card sells in stores at least six months or probably longer. I see your point anyway.
-
You might want to try formatting the card as msdos fat on your computer.
-
I formatted the card as MS-DOS (fat) in Mac's OS DiskUtility, but it didn't help.
I sold the card to someone who shot with Canon. The card does work, but not in Hasselblad H4D camera.
-
I have also experienced problems with clients using Transcend...
I know it is not what you want to hear, but you didn't come here for sweet talk;
If the SanDisk works, why use the Transcend? Time and time again, I use the SanDisk = camera works wonderfully. Use Transcend = problems. Weird stuff too, like working fine then suddenly issues. Put SanDisk in, no problems. My experience is that the extra cost for the SanDisk shows in the actual performance of the product, not just for show...Transcend could use a little more quality control so I could experience the same performance with their brand.
Please don't think this is a SanDisk commercial. Your experience may vary. But I get consistent performance out of using *any* version of SanDisk, even 4-year old Ultra 512MB cards. (I know, try not to laugh, they are in the emergency bag and get used when the big boys get full.)
My $0.02 worth; go with what works...the rest is up for debate over beer and wings.
FWIW, the Hasselblad uses a CF reader/writer that is designed for UDMA...
John
-
Just for the sake of balance - I've got a sandisk 400x 8gb card that works in the canon 5d2 and the hasselblad CF-39 but not in the Leaf aptus 12. On the other hand I've got two transcend 600x cards (16gb and 32gb) that work in all the cameras. I've got two lexar pro 400x that won't work in the Leaf or the Hasselblad CF but work in the Canon. I get lines through the files when they are in the Leaf and the CF won't recognize them. All very strange. The only card that ever outright failed on me was a sandisk and I lost work (and my fee's for that portion of the job).
-
I got the 600x 32Gb for my H3Dii-50
same thing it doesnt work even after the formatting, it works on my D3 though
asked Hass
the answer was, upgrade to H4D, and use Sandisk
personally dont see why we can only use Sandisk, but H4D does have a newer firmware to use with something like 400x cards
-
Just for the sake of balance - I've got a sandisk 400x 8gb card that works in the canon 5d2 and the hasselblad CF-39 but not in the Leaf aptus 12. On the other hand I've got two transcend 600x cards (16gb and 32gb) that work in all the cameras. I've got two lexar pro 400x that won't work in the Leaf or the Hasselblad CF but work in the Canon. I get lines through the files when they are in the Leaf and the CF won't recognize them. All very strange. The only card that ever outright failed on me was a sandisk and I lost work (and my fee's for that portion of the job).
I bought a handful of Transcend cards at the recommendation of a digital tech and two weeks later threw them away.
One of the few instances I had to recover images from cards and it's not just worth the risk.
I now always call the manufacturer and get exact specs.
IMO
BC
-
My camera already has the new firmware, it doesn't help. I currently use a 8Gb 60mb/s and an older 16Gb 45 mb/s SanDisk cards.
-
My camera already has the new firmware, it doesn't help. I currently use a 8Gb 60mb/s and an older 16Gb 45 mb/s SanDisk cards.
Maybe you could ask David Grover, he should be able to give a definitive answer.
-
What would you rather be, Good or Lucky?
My H4D 40 came with a plain white labeled SanDisk card marked 60MB/s 400X 8GB. I have used this card and 16 Lexar Pro 8gb & 16gb cards plus 4 ADATA 533x 16GB cards with no issues in the H4D camera.
I had one card failure in the past, I bought 4 cards and they were all bad (bad batch?) I returned them and have had no issues since.
Lucky I guess.
-
Hasselblad adviced to use the newest H4D firmware. It doesn't solve the problem with Transcend card. I use other cards made by SanDisk.
-
I formatted the card as MS-DOS (fat) in Mac's OS DiskUtility, but it didn't help.
I sold the card to someone who shot with Canon. The card does work, but not in Hasselblad H4D camera.
You should just sell your HD-4 and buy a compatible camera ;)
Sorry, as a long time fan of Transcend, I couldn't resist. I can, however, empathize with your frustration.
- N.
-
I heard film cameras do not need any cards ;D
-
Considering the large number of counterfeit cards, probably the seller is more important than the brand name. I would not buy from ebay for example or other unknown internet sellers.
-
I buy cards from B&H.
-
Considering the large number of counterfeit cards, probably the seller is more important than the brand name. I would not buy from ebay for example or other unknown internet sellers.
That is nowadays a serious problem, especially on ebay.
-
I have no issues with my Transcend 400X cards in my H4D 40 and Canon's. Bought mine from mydigitaldiscount.com
-
I have used Transcend cards and have two of the cards you mention and they work flawlessly with my IQ180. I realize this is a different back but maybe it could be the card itself. I have had only one bad card from Transcend but they quickly replaced it. Why don't you contact them and see if they'll replace the card?
Victor
-
I am surprised that Hasselblad is silent on this topic. It is worth adding a comment, certainly does not hurt.
-
I not contacted them, becase I don't want to pay shipping for return of this inexpensive ($70) item. Instead, I sold it for the original B&H price to a local photographer (he saved in international shipping and customs frees), and the card works fine in his Canon.
-
Just back from vacation. ;)
It is suprising the Transcend does not work as I have used a 300x one myself with no issues.
We will have to look at the 600x model more closely to make a statement.
Evgeny - glad you have a solution!
My recommendation is always Sandisk, if that helps.
David
-
David,
Sandisk cards work without issues. Thanks.
Evgeny
-
I have used Sandisk 64gb and 128gb in a H3Dii-39ms and H4D-50 without any issue. Simply put the card in formatted it and away I went.
-
Label does not give you a guarantee trouble-free operation. For example, Sandisk and Leica M9 is not working well ... Here you will definitely talk about this type of card incompatibility. These things happen, so be sure to check the equipment before buying.
-
The Sandisk M9 issue is unique, they are the recommended card for the camera and almost any camera on the market. They are the only thing I will trust, if for no other reason then they have a company behind them.
-
I bought one cheap 32GB CF card as well and it didn't work on my H4D-60 [not SanDisk], so i will keep that card for Canon and i will buy SanDisk cards next time, it is not a big deal, i will not make it as a big or bad issue with Hasselblad, in fact i like SanDisk and i shouldn't buy a cheap CF card, good lesson to learn and it teaches me which card i have to avoid next time.
-
Hi
Just bought a h4d40. Very happy.
I have two Kingston ultimate 600x 16GB cards and the camera wont read either of them. I can't even format the cards, they both give me an error.
They do work with my Canon 5D Mark II.
Also have latest firmware etc, tried to format fat32 and all. Nothing.
At the moment I am working with SanDisk Extreme IV 8GB on my h4d40 and they work just fine.