Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: smthopr on July 16, 2011, 01:55:18 pm
-
I recently switched my 3800 to print over the network.
All seems ok, except that I can't choose the paper path in the print dialog. It's always set to "sheet feeder".
I'm on a mac running osX 10.5.8
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-bruce
-
My 3800 is also networked,using a Mac as well.
Under print settings-Page setup. You then should have the 3 choices, sheet feeder plus manual rear or front.
Is your page setup line greyed out?
-
I also use a 3800 w/ Ethernet.
Did you remove and reinstantiate the printer in the Printer dialog (you *must* use Epson TCP/IP).
You also want to give it a static IP address, not a dynamic one.
-
Did you remove and reinstantiate the printer in the Printer dialog (you *must* use Epson TCP/IP)
As Howard says, you've got to create a new printer instance when you switch to networked use. Bonjour works fine for me though.
-
Thanks for the replies. It is set up on tcp/ip.
Static or dynamic ip? I'll need further details please.
-
My 3800 is also networked,using a Mac as well.
Under print settings-Page setup. You then should have the 3 choices, sheet feeder plus manual rear or front.
Is your page setup line greyed out?
Yes.
-
Hmmm, networking tutorial time ;)
Every item on a home ethernet network must have a unique address. That address can be assigned either
automatically (by your router via what is called DHCP) or manually (by you entering in the numbers).
The automatic assignment works very well in most cases but the 'D' in DHCP stands for Dynamic (contrast/compare Static)
so if power goes out or the router gets reset, there is a good chance that the addresses will change slightly when things reset. For a
TCP/IP connected printer, that would mean that what did work will no longer work and you'll be back here saying
'I used to be able to print but now the printer doesn't respond'. So, you want to set your printer up for a manually
assigned address if possible to avoid that problem.
I'm not going to write some long post about how to do that but if you want, PM me and we can chat via phone or something.
Thanks for the replies. It is set up on tcp/ip.
Static or dynamic ip? I'll need further details please.
-
Hmmm, networking tutorial time ;)
Every item on a home ethernet network must have a unique address. That address can be assigned either
automatically (by your router via what is called DHCP) or manually (by you entering in the numbers).
The automatic assignment works very well in most cases but the 'D' in DHCP stands for Dynamic (contrast/compare Static)
so if power goes out or the router gets reset, there is a good chance that the addresses will change slightly when things reset. For a
TCP/IP connected printer, that would mean that what did work will no longer work and you'll be back here saying
'I used to be able to print but now the printer doesn't respond'. So, you want to set your printer up for a manually
assigned address if possible to avoid that problem.
I'm not going to write some long post about how to do that but if you want, PM me and we can chat via phone or something.
Thanks! That would explain why I lost connection to my printers and had to re-add them as printers. Now I just have to look in the manual to see how to get a static address for the printers...
Still doesn't explain why I can't choose the paper feed though >:(
-
Thanks! That would explain why I lost connection to my printers and had to re-add them as printers. Now I just have to look in the manual to see how to get a static address for the printers...
Still doesn't explain why I can't choose the paper feed though >:(
Found it. It's a sub menu under "paper size" where one chooses the paper feed. Duh!