Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: martin-images on July 16, 2011, 01:16:40 pm

Title: Thinking
Post by: martin-images on July 16, 2011, 01:16:40 pm
Martin

Title: Re: Thinking
Post by: RSL on July 16, 2011, 01:57:58 pm
That's a great shot, Martin. Bravo! The backlight and the distortion of the window make the picture. The outline of the girl's face almost got submerged in the passing ogler's shirt, but not quite, and the tonal separation shows enough of her expression to indicate her mood.
Title: Re: Thinking
Post by: popnfresh on July 16, 2011, 02:14:39 pm
I like the shot too, but there's a halo around part of her head where it looks like you may have used a mask and other areas around her where it looks like you've done some heavy burning and I find it a little distracting. It almost looks like the foreground and background aren't part of the same shot, although I'm sure they are.
Title: Re: Thinking
Post by: RSL on July 16, 2011, 03:17:07 pm
Martin, Pop's asking a fair question. I saw the halo too but I thought it was some part of the bus in the background. I can't imagine it's from background burning since the new tools in Photoshop let you make a very accurate selection.
Title: Re: Thinking
Post by: martin-images on July 16, 2011, 05:09:42 pm
Your probably right about the halo, this was edited pre contrast grading workflow

Thanks
Martin
Title: Re: Thinking
Post by: louoates on July 16, 2011, 10:23:29 pm
One of the great challenges in street photography is catching the interactions between people and objects. "Thinking" is a pretty good example.

I had my little point and shoot camera with me in Florence Italy last week and saw this Christ image just off the sidewalk where I laid in wait for just the right response. This one came as close as I could to something interesting in my allotted time there. When I started working on the image I was debating on removing the guy in the middle because I was looking for a direct one-on-one interaction with the Christ image. I changed my mind because the guy with the backpack filled in the center nicely and created a nice circular route for the eye. My only concession to keeping him in there was converting to black and white. His fluorescent green shirt was way too distracting.