Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Jonathan Wienke on July 25, 2005, 12:39:47 pm
-
Unboxed + no manual = scam.
-
Regardless of the price, even an upgrade downloaded directly from Adobe still includes all the documentation in PDF or HTML format. If you're not getting that at least, you're not getting a legitimate program. Double-check to see if the item is for sale directly from Amazon or is merely listed on Amazon by a third party (a big red flag if so) and whether documentation is included in electronic form (another red flag if not).
-
Tony,
you might want to look at this web site.
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/index.php (http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/index.php)
I use elements 3 and I like it. I'm sure it doens't have all the bells and whistles as CS, but I don't need it yet. I do like the adobe camera raw that comes with it. I paid US $100, not sure what that translates for you.
Jerry
-
It's okay.
If you get the hidden power of elements 3 book you'll get a cd that gives you a lot more interesting controls.
Otherwise the important things are 16 bit. ACR is fine. It doesn't have all the options but its conversion is the same. Colormanagement is virtually nonexistant. The organizer is nice.
I got frustrated and bought cs2. (Layer masks were my down fall. A total bitch to do in Elements 3.)
-
Upgrading from Photoshop Elements 2 to El 3 ought to be a no-brainer (16 bit, Raw converter, CS type interpolation), but there are web reviews reporting bugs. Is anyone using 3? How was it for you? What are the shortfalls against CS? I know about lacking curves. Any downsides in buying the unboxed version on Amazon for £25? No manual, but is the manual worth having anyway?
Thanks
Tony Collins
-
FWIW, £25 is not far from the standard retail price in Europe.
Edit: Sorry, I just checked on the Adobe online store and the price seems more like £59 (including taxes). I'm not familiar with the UK market but in other countries street price is generally lower. In Switzerland, current retail prices are around £27-£30 (tax included) for the boxed version.
Francois
-
Jonathan, thanks for the warning. I am surprised to learn that Amazon do not exercise some control over their third party vendors.
To disregard this aspect though, what of the functionality of Elements 3 queried in my original post?
Tony
-
Jonathan, thanks for the warning. I am surprised to learn that Amazon do not exercise some control over their third party vendors.
Amazon is not unlike EBay in that they do monitor third-party listings, but given the sheer volume, some scammers will slip through. Common sense and good judgement are your best defense.
I don't use Elements; I have CS2, so I'll defer to actual Elements users for comment.