Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Sean Klingelhoefer on July 08, 2011, 03:04:05 pm
-
So I'm looking into building a new storage system, doesn't need to be state of the art by any means, I'm hoping to find a good enclosure for $400 or less that is hot swappable with at least two FW800 ports. There are a lot of options out there so I figured I'd ask and see what the experts recommend. I was initially looking into a Drobo, but I've since read lots of really bad things, particularly in write-speed. Again I'm not looking for something ultra-fast, but I figure around 70-80mb/s would be ideal.
Thanks in advance!
-
Try this-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739783-REG/Promise_Technology_F29DS4622000004_SmartStor_DS4600.html
-
I've always had good luck with Sans Digital. Reasonably priced and well built.
-
lacie 4big quadra....have several of those....have recommended them to friends and colleagues...they are great....lacie has great phone support as well...i run them as raid 5 on fw800...
-
This post is from over a month ago, but it took me several months to actually decide when I went through this process, so I figure you won't mind a reply
If you're after a RAID (which I'm assuming), I recently built a 12TB (4x3TB) with an OWC Mercury Pro Qx2 for $300 (+$800 for the drives, ouch). FW800, USB2, and for when a Thunderbolt<->eSATA connector comes out, eSATA.
I did find some other slightly cheaper options, but they were generic Chinese ones and I'd rather not trust critical business data to them.
Link here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/ (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/)