Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on July 08, 2011, 07:41:51 am

Title: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Mike Guilbault on July 08, 2011, 07:41:51 am
I'm looking for an easily available paper to use for portraits.  I have easy access to Epson papers (right across the street from my studio), so I was thinking of the Hot Press Natural.  I've used the Cold Press Natural for landscapes, but think that the smooth surface of the HPN would be better for portraits.

Does that sound reasonable?  Any other readily available choices?
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on July 08, 2011, 08:33:30 am
For a matte paper, it is a very good choice and the only other one that I would suggest that is similar would be Canson Rag Photgraphique which is very similar.  Price may suggest which route to go.
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Mike Guilbault on July 08, 2011, 04:55:17 pm
Thanks Alan... at least I know I can just go across the street to get it!
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: eleanorbrown on July 08, 2011, 05:20:38 pm
Hahnemuhle Bamboo! Gorgeous gorgeous and is the most wonderful paper to the touch I have ever held. The epson hot press natural is also really nice. For a satin finish try Canson Platine Fiber Rag. Eleanor
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Mike Guilbault on July 08, 2011, 10:25:42 pm
I've just recently heard of the bamboo.. and I believe there's also a Sugar Cane paper too.  I wish Epson had come up with a more 'exotic' name than Hot/Cold Press. Doesn't sound as sexy as Hahnemuhle Bamboo, does it. ;)
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on July 09, 2011, 08:05:39 am
I have done a lot of printing on HM Bamboo (have not tried the sugar cane paper) and it is a nice paper, particularly for warm monochrome images.  The only issue is that it is not as fade resistant as some other matte papers in Aardenburg testing.
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Mike Guilbault on July 09, 2011, 06:29:42 pm
ahhh... good to know.  I pretty much want to stay with papers with good resistance... one reason I've been using the Epson 'Natural' papers. Think I'll go ahead and order in some of the Hot Press Natural.  Seems like a good choice and readily available.
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: gromit on July 09, 2011, 09:03:47 pm
I have done a lot of printing on HM Bamboo (have not tried the sugar cane paper) and it is a nice paper, particularly for warm monochrome images.  The only issue is that it is not as fade resistant as some other matte papers in Aardenburg testing.

If you look carefully at the Aardenburg results, it's not so much that the image fades as that the paper itself bleaches (turns less yellow). This would appear to be common with most warm tone papers and likely to affect Hot Press Natural equally. It's so far out though that I wouldn't be too concerned.
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on July 10, 2011, 02:50:39 pm
Most papers initially give a slightly higher white reflectance in Aardenburg's testing period. Mark refers to a change of humidity in the coating crystals that creates that effect. When no other component of the coating or paper base degrades then that effect remains. About L 1.0 increase. If I recall it all correctly. The cool paper's FBA usually degrade a bit or more in time and that gives a drop in white reflectance that is more than the initial increase. Plus they shift towards a warmer white. The warm papers have no FBAs and usually do not shift in color to warmer or cooler so they keep that slightly higher white reflectance.

With HM's Sugar Cane you have to be careful with the direction of the texture, that texture is quite directional. A print lit from above with one lamp and with the texture horizontally will show that texture much more and the print is also slightly lighter than with the texture running vertically. Something to consider with portraits I think. I would not use it for that purpose.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm


Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: eleanorbrown on July 10, 2011, 03:07:14 pm
I have printed on sugar cane also and definitely would not recommend it for portraits. Eleanor

Most papers initially give a slightly higher white reflectance in Aardenburg's testing period. Mark refers to a change of humidity in the coating crystals that creates that effect. When no other component of the coating or paper base degrades then that effect remains. About L 1.0 increase. If I recall it all correctly. The cool paper's FBA usually degrade a bit or more in time and that gives a drop in white reflectance that is more than the initial increase. Plus they shift towards a warmer white. The warm papers have no FBAs and usually do not shift in color to warmer or cooler so they keep that slightly higher white reflectance.

With HM's Sugar Cane you have to be careful with the direction of the texture, that texture is quite directional. A print lit from above with one lamp and with the texture horizontally will show that texture much more and the print is also slightly lighter than with the texture running vertically. Something to consider with portraits I think. I would not use it for that purpose.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm



Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: David Good on July 10, 2011, 04:45:06 pm
I'm real partial to the Harman Gloss FB AI Warmtone, you may prefer the matte version. I have not yet tried the Harman by Hahnemuhle as I stocked up on the former and cannot comment on it's qualities.
Title: Re: Paper for portraits?
Post by: eleanorbrown on July 10, 2011, 07:53:06 pm
I also use the harman papers....fb ai bright and warmtone and see no change in the papers since they acquired the hahnemuhle name. still great quality papers. Eleanor