Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: SG on July 06, 2011, 05:11:17 pm

Title: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: SG on July 06, 2011, 05:11:17 pm
Hi,
I need to stick a sheet of synthetic canvas on a shelfboard (melamine). The surface of it is rather slippery, a bit more slippery than MDF board.
The prints are made on Mimaki JV4-160 (waterbased ink).
What glue would be the best option? I've read some post about 15% watered down Elmers that works well with MDF, but I'm not quite sure about shelfboard.
I also have 3M Super 77 spray adhesive but I've never used anything like that before. Is it ok for my case?

My concern is possible interaction of glue with inks which of course isn't desirable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: dgberg on July 06, 2011, 05:54:28 pm
Hi,
I need to stick a sheet of synthetic canvas on a shelfboard (melamine). The surface of it is rather slippery, a bit more slippery than MDF board.
The prints are made on Mimaki JV4-160 (waterbased ink).
What glue would be the best option? I've read some post about 15% watered down Elmers that works well with MDF, but I'm not quite sure about shelfboard.
I also have 3M Super 77 spray adhesive but I've never used anything like that before. Is it ok for my case?

My concern is possible interaction of glue with inks which of course isn't desirable.

Any suggestions?

You could try miracle muck. Works great on gatorboard and is very affordable.
If you have a roll laminator then any of the mounting adhesives would work.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: stretchdcanvas on July 06, 2011, 08:35:06 pm
Wow, another JV4 user!

If all you have is the spray go ahead and use it (preferably in an open area).  Follow the instructions on the can... it's pretty strong stuff.

If you have a laminator cut a piece of adhesive the size of the shelf and mount the canvas to the shelf.

Gotta love those JV4's :)
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: SG on July 06, 2011, 09:23:38 pm
Thanks guys.

So far the test results are the following:

Super 77 is quite alright, but not super tacky. i could easily remove it from the board.
Elmers is even weaker.
And (!) 15% watered down Elmers smudges the ink! I was quite surprised.

I will try to sandpaper the shelfboard to make it less slippery.
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: Ken on July 06, 2011, 09:32:07 pm
I know absolutely nothing about glue, but I know that you have to prime metal and other non-porous surfaces before you can paint them. Maybe that would work better/easier than sandpaper?

Also... If you are concerned about "archival" issues, how do the various glues stack up?  
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: davidh202 on July 06, 2011, 09:36:52 pm
 If you are not worried about any possible long term detrimental effects from the 77 ,the trick to making it adhere better is to spray both the board and the back of the canvas and let them dry for a short time letting all the propellant evaporate from the glue but still tacky. Then adhere the two together by aligning one edge of the canvas an carefully spread it down from one side to the other so as to not trap air bubbles. Then use a brayer to apply pressure to the bond. Just don't let the 77 dry completely before doing the application to the board.

Be carefull it's messy stuff and will not clean well at all!
 
Title: Re: Adhesive for canvas on shelfboard
Post by: ghaynes754 on July 19, 2011, 11:48:34 am
As Dan said use MiracleMuck.  Works great.