Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: NigelC on July 06, 2011, 04:43:57 am
-
Sorry to start new thread but trawling for quick advice. If I decide to return this possible faulty used Kirk BH-3, will have to get something else as takes 5 weeks to get one new in UK from sole importer - pity as I quite like it. Within my budget and easily available in UK (no Markins, RRs etc) are; a) Accratech GV2; b) Arca Swiss Z1p single pan. Any views - probable disadvantage is that Accratech wont fit within reversed legs position of Feisol tripod i've just ordered.
-
Hi,
I used the original Acratech Ultimate ballhead and loved it! Main reason I don't use it that I wanted a level type "quick release". The reson is that I often tried to open the "quick release" when trying to use the "pan knob". The knobs are far to similar.
Best regards
Erik
Sorry to start new thread but trawling for quick advice. If I decide to return this possible faulty used Kirk BH-3, will have to get something else as takes 5 weeks to get one new in UK from sole importer - pity as I quite like it. Within my budget and easily available in UK (no Markins, RRs etc) are; a) Accratech GV2; b) Arca Swiss Z1p single pan. Any views - probable disadvantage is that Accratech wont fit within reversed legs position of Feisol tripod i've just ordered.
-
I have both the original Acratech Ultimate and the Z1-p. Both are good unless you are using heavy equipment, in which case the Z1 is much better. The Z1 has an asymmetrical ball which is very effective at preventing creep with heavy lenses; I find the Acratech very difficult to use under these conditions, e.g. medium format with a heavy 120mm macro. The only aspect of the Z1 I don't care for involves shots where the camera is pointed down, in which case the tightening knob must be on the right side of the camera, making it difficult to both hold the camera and adjust the knob.
Tom
PS In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the double pan version.
-
I have both the original Acratech Ultimate and the Z1-p. Both are good unless you are using heavy equipment, in which case the Z1 is much better. The Z1 has an asymmetrical ball which is very effective at preventing creep with heavy lenses; I find the Acratech very difficult to use under these conditions, e.g. medium format with a heavy 120mm macro. The only aspect of the Z1 I don't care for involves shots where the camera is pointed down, in which case the tightening knob must be on the right side of the camera, making it difficult to both hold the camera and adjust the knob.
Tom
PS In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the double pan version.
Think I'll wait for new tripod to arrive to test BH-3 properly under load - do like the design and the clamp but if have to go for something else will go for Z1 - but double pan is beyond my self-imposed budget and it seems to add disproportionate increase in cost without actually providing a levelling function. If I decide need proper levelling device would probably go for Feisol levelling base.
-
Hi there,
I have used a Kirk BH-1 for the last 10 years or so, very solid and reliable. Used it with a Gitzo series 3 CF tripod, for my Canon EOS FF system.
However, I have recently sold the Canon stuff, and am using a lighter Pentax K5 system. So I have looked into a lighter tripod plus ball head combination, and ended up choosing a Gitzo series 2 basalt tripod (cheaper than CF and still light), plus the Acratech GP ball head. This is a very good ball head, and it weighs about 1/2 of the Kirk BH-1.
The GP can be mounted in a way as to be used as a panoramic head too, check Acratech website for demos.
-
Sorry to start new thread but trawling for quick advice. If I decide to return this possible faulty used Kirk BH-3, will have to get something else as takes 5 weeks to get one new in UK from sole importer - pity as I quite like it. Within my budget and easily available in UK (no Markins, RRs etc) are; a) Accratech GV2; b) Arca Swiss Z1p single pan. Any views - probable disadvantage is that Accratech wont fit within reversed legs position of Feisol tripod i've just ordered.
I'm also in the UK.
I bought an RRS BH40 (lever clamp, with also an L bracket for my 5D2) direct from the company in the USA. It arrived in less than a week. There was no hassle: they were very pleasant and easy to deal with, responding to email queries (technical, not about delivery) within a few hours. I'm very pleased with the kit and wouldn't hesitate to deal with RRS again.
Don't rule them out. Their kit feels as if made with love.
Jeremy