Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: photogfla on July 04, 2011, 09:38:12 pm

Title: Color output much better 4900 vs 2880?
Post by: photogfla on July 04, 2011, 09:38:12 pm
Since I have the 2880, I'd like to know from those who know, any comparisons done of the same file printed on a 2880 and 4900?

Would you be able to tell the difference?  I don't mean a sunset, which I know the 4900 has the extra 2 inks, and I feel it would show then for sure. 

But, would there be that much of a difference between a comparison of the same file? 

I am considering a purchase because of the extra inks and savings, but feel I would not want the move to the 4900 for only printing one size up essentially if the prints would look similar.  Would eventually get perhaps the 9900. 

Thanks :)
Title: Re: Color output much better 4900 vs 2880?
Post by: gromit on July 04, 2011, 11:48:35 pm
Assuming the 4900 has the same head as the 7900/9900, there will a difference in sharpness, micro-contrast etc. The x900 also has a more sophisticated LUT for the mixing of colours. The additional orange and green can also help with some images. All these factors contribute to pretty-nearly grain free output. It's debatable whether this is something casual viewers would notice ... but if you take your printing seriously, the x900 printers really deliver.
Title: Re: Color output much better 4900 vs 2880?
Post by: photogfla on July 12, 2011, 05:53:34 pm
Yeah, the 4900 seems like a real good printer.  I'm so use to the 2880 and think it will be a step up.  I don't print for a living.  I enjoy it as an art.  Just been busy lately and little hesitant to go and learn another printer.  But, its not like I am not native to the process.  Thanks