Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jozef Zajaz on July 04, 2011, 06:47:18 am
-
any clues?
-
You might try this:
http://blog.lexjet.com/2010/12/30/quick-tip-how-much-is-left-on-a-roll/
-
I had the same issue yesterday as I was finishing up a roll of canvas on my 8300. I knew I had enough for 2 prints but the 3rd was dicey---and the client wants the prints asap of course. I looked around in the Canon printer program and didn't see any way to find out there---even though it is set to track usage (and prints out what's remaining when you remove the roll. But how do you find out before removing the roll?) The measuring trick previous poster mentioned is slick but seems like you have to make your measurements accurately to about a paper thickness (or maybe it's 2 thicknesses---but either way it seems like it might not be too helpful towards the end of the roll. probably would get you a ballpark when there's a lot left). Anybody know how to make the printer cough up the data?
Rob P
-
Did you poke around in the on-printer display? I'm pretty sure there's a roll remaining thing on it.
Neil
-
I always have at least one back-up roll of my favorite paper(s) so when I'm running low I don't have to worry about eeking out one more print. The last print or two on a roll also suffer from the intense paper curl you get close to the central cardboard tube, so I usually regard them as throw-aways and use them for experiments or photo references for painting.
-
The original Canon LFP iPF5000 had a paper end barcode printing utility that tracked roll usage. I don't remember the specifics, except that it used about 4" paper for each roll removal, and reported length remaining in the GARO print utility. I stopped using it and have gotten burned a few times since. The 5000 stops printing when the roll stops turning, even though a foot or more of paper remains.
Pete
-
The original Canon LFP iPF5000 had a paper end barcode printing utility that tracked roll usage. I don't remember the specifics, except that it used about 4" paper for each roll removal, and reported length remaining in the GARO print utility. I stopped using it and have gotten burned a few times since. The 5000 stops printing when the roll stops turning, even though a foot or more of paper remains.
Pete
The iPF8300 has the same barcode feature but does let you print through after showing you a dire warning that there may not be enough paper. Mine finished an image that went up to an inch from the end of the roll.
I did not think of Neile's advice about looking on the machine display for remaining roll when I couldn't find it on the printer utility on the computer. Will try that.
Rob P