Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Andres Bonilla on June 30, 2011, 11:34:32 pm

Title: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on June 30, 2011, 11:34:32 pm
I was wondering, should I clone out the leaves on the upper right? Leave it alone?

Thanks,

Andres
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 01, 2011, 03:37:00 am
I was wondering, should I clone out the leaves on the upper right? Leave it alone?

Thanks,

Andres
I like it a lot but I think it's spoiled by blurry dark spoldges on the right, so I say clone. I doubt it will be easy, though, even with content-aware fill.

Jeremy
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: stamper on July 01, 2011, 03:42:00 am
You have my permission to go ahead. ;)
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 01, 2011, 08:31:22 am
I would crop.

Photobloke
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 01, 2011, 08:39:51 am
I would crop.

Photobloke
I agree. Cloning would be very tricky, and CA-fill would initially give very strange results (spreading the rainbow).

Eric
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: RSL on July 01, 2011, 09:16:40 am
It's quite a shot. The trouble with cropping is that the crop is going to eliminate that triangular dip in the foliage on the lower right, and that triangle is important to the composition. How about a random clone job like this:
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: popnfresh on July 01, 2011, 12:43:00 pm
While it is cheating a little, I agree that cloning is the way to go here. Sometimes you have no choice but to "enhance" what nature has put in front of your lens.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 01, 2011, 02:04:50 pm
It's quite a shot. The trouble with cropping is that the crop is going to eliminate that triangular dip in the foliage on the lower right, and that triangle is important to the composition. How about a random clone job like this:
Nicely done, Russ. Cr*pping loses again!

Eric
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:50:28 am
I like it a lot but I think it's spoiled by blurry dark spoldges on the right, so I say clone. I doubt it will be easy, though, even with content-aware fill.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, it would have to be cloning since I am still with CS2 and I don't have content aware fill. I thought this new tool was wonderful?
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:51:09 am
You have my permission to go ahead. ;)

Thanks ! I think those blurry leaves have to go :)
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:52:34 am
I would crop.

Photobloke

Ok a right crop I would assume, easy and fast.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:53:30 am
I agree. Cloning would be very tricky, and CA-fill would initially give very strange results (spreading the rainbow).

Eric
I just go an e-mail from Adobe showing how wonderful CA fill is, I guess is not that easy to use?
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:54:54 am
It's quite a shot. The trouble with cropping is that the crop is going to eliminate that triangular dip in the foliage on the lower right, and that triangle is important to the composition. How about a random clone job like this:

Wow! That is a very effective random clone. I guess good old cloning is still very powerful.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Andres Bonilla on July 02, 2011, 03:57:28 am
While it is cheating a little, I agree that cloning is the way to go here. Sometimes you have no choice but to "enhance" what nature has put in front of your lens.

Yes , I wanted to move to the left but I run out of ground! I also got soaked very quickly so I took several shots but this one hd the least clutter.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: RSL on July 02, 2011, 10:58:03 am
Nicely done, Russ. Cr*pping loses again!

Thanks, Eric. Yes, cr*pping usually loses, but cl*ning sometimes just doesn't cut it.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: tq-g on July 02, 2011, 03:50:12 pm
While it is cheating a little[...]
There are rules?

I say crop, clone, paint, use dark magic to summon the spirits from the underworld... whatever gets the job done that you find is worth your time.
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 02, 2011, 04:21:55 pm
Thanks, Eric. Yes, cr*pping usually loses, but cl*ning sometimes just doesn't cut it.
It's always best to get it right in camera, when possible.
When it isn't possible, then a person's got to do what a person's got to do.

Eric
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 03, 2011, 03:55:27 am
There are rules?

I say crop, clone, paint, use dark magic to summon the spirits from the underworld... whatever gets the job done that you find is worth your time.
I agree completely.

However, the last time I tried the dark magic option, I ended up with pentacles all over the shadow detail, so I'll not be doing that again.

Jeremy
Title: Re: The tree and the rainbow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 03, 2011, 09:22:28 am
Jeremy,

Doesn't Nik have a pentacle-removal plugin?

Eric