Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: fredlb on June 29, 2011, 12:47:19 pm

Title: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: fredlb on June 29, 2011, 12:47:19 pm
Hi there,
I'm absolutely not a photographer by trade, but I would love some input on these images as I've recently fallen in love with landscape photography.
Any and all criticism is welcome :)

Thanks.

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5317/5881013022_82d44f2cf3_z.jpg)

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5073/5860977802_7a8451c1e1_z.jpg)

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5114/5860425257_384cafbf1c_z.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/5860421099_1962fb78f4_z.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/5860972140_dacbc8586f_z.jpg)

Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: Steve Weldon on June 29, 2011, 01:21:46 pm
I can see how you'd find these images personally satisfying.  I think the first image is the strongest though I think if you anchored the foreground (perhaps by including a davit or some other home piece of the dock, or even by moving closer to the ground to bring out the detail of the wood) somehow it would be stronger.
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 29, 2011, 02:46:02 pm
Welcome! I find the first, clichéd though it might be, attractive and serene. The others don't do much for me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: Rob C on June 29, 2011, 03:12:12 pm
Penultimate one reminds me of those 'delicate' nudes of the 40s - at least the fit-to-print ones where small boys such as I discovered that ladies were always born partly out of focus in the same place.

See where the hell that early impression led me.

;-(

Rob C
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 30, 2011, 08:31:25 am
Hi Fred,

I like them all, I like the clean well presented way you have worked and presented them. OK the content may not be compositionally perfect just yet, but if this is your starting point and the beginning of your love affair with photography, then I think you certainly have the beginnings of an ability worth nurturing as well as a good eye.

So keep going, I think the best is yet to come.

Photobloke
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: fredlb on July 07, 2011, 05:31:48 pm
Thanks alot for your thoughts, it really helps to bring a fresh eye to everything.
Here's two other recent shots. I've decided to roll back to b/w for now as I need to control my values and composition better.

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5911404897_8c0e79041c_z.jpg)

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5078/5911964820_6976556f33_z.jpg)

Thanks again :)
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: solardarkroom.com on July 19, 2011, 04:26:54 pm
I see talent in these shots. Keep shooting. Shoot as often as possible. Share. Enjoy. Shoot some more. Edit with no mercy. Shoot some more...
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: louoates on July 19, 2011, 10:31:13 pm
Shoot more. Then shoot more. Then shoot some more. Later, shoot more. And keep them all. Every one. After a few years go back and review. You'll see gems you missed seeing the first time. Guaranteed.
Title: Re: My humble attempt(s)
Post by: William Walker on July 20, 2011, 04:46:13 am
Penultimate one reminds me of those 'delicate' nudes of the 40s - at least the fit-to-print ones where small boys such as I discovered that ladies were always born partly out of focus in the same place.

See where the hell that early impression led me.

;-(

Rob C

Rob, Rob , Rob.....You are a Freudian goldmine ;D