Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: nemophoto on June 29, 2011, 12:43:14 pm

Title: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: nemophoto on June 29, 2011, 12:43:14 pm
I have PS CS5 (both 32- and 64-bit) loaded on both my laptop and my desktop. Both systems use an nVidia graphics card. My notebook, a Sony 16+ inch, uses an nVidia GT300M chipset. I have no problems with video/hardware acceleration on both version of Photoshop.

My desktop is another story. I never had graphics acceleration when running PS CS5 in 32-bit, only 64-bit. I decided to upgrade my graphics card to one of the latest, the nVidia GTX 560Ti. I have the latest driver, etc. I STILL have no GPU acceleration in Photoshop if I launch 32-bit. The option is grayed out. (I've attached a screen shot.)

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on both machines. Can anyone figure out why I'd have the option with either version of Photoshop on my notebook, but not on my more powerful desktop? Thanks for the help.

Nemo
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: Steve Weldon on June 29, 2011, 01:07:57 pm
Is there any chance you're running in a compatibility mode other than Win7 or Vista?  Right click on your desktop icon (or the file in Explorer) and check under the compatibility tab.  Once in Win7 mode your 'compatible' graphics card will be automatically detected.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: nemophoto on June 29, 2011, 02:11:52 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. No, I'm not running under "compatability mode". I think I'm only doing that with one program of zillions I have on my computer. It's the strangest thing. Annoying too. I tried to get an answer from Adobe. As usual, nothing...
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: Farmer on June 29, 2011, 07:00:06 pm
Have you tried resetting your photoshop preferences?
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: JeffKohn on June 29, 2011, 10:46:38 pm
Interesting. For whatever reason it seems that 32-bit Photoshop running on 64-bit Windows is a second-class citizen when it comes to video acceleration. I have an ATI Card (FireGL 4800). Although I _can_ enable OpenGL acceleration in PS-32, I cannot get 10-bit color to work, even though it works in 64-bit PS.

I really doubt these are driver issues. If 3D acceleration of x86 programs under Win-x64 wasn't fully supported, most video games would have problems. So I think the problem must be with the way Photoshop is using the video card.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: Steve Weldon on June 29, 2011, 11:19:17 pm
Have you tried resetting your photoshop preferences?
+1  This would be my next try.. holding down the shift/cntl/alt keys while opening the program forces the preferences to reset.. and to take another look at your card.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: nemophoto on July 01, 2011, 12:13:09 pm
Interesting thought. I'm now also wondering if this may have something to do with also the CPU. (Had that problem with Capture One 5 versus Capture One 6). My desktop uses an AMD Phenom II while my notebook is an Intel i7. I have also seen EXTEREMLY poor speed performance with the latest Genuine Fractals (now called a stupid Perfect Resize 7). After complaining of slow redraws with 7 versus Genuine Fractals 6. OnOne said the latest version uses OpenGL to render. I'll have to experiment with my laptop versus my desktop. If performance is better with a comparatively lesser system/CPU, then it must be something in the way Photoshop is written and utilizes OpenGL as well as the CPU/GPU combo.

Interesting. For whatever reason it seems that 32-bit Photoshop running on 64-bit Windows is a second-class citizen when it comes to video acceleration. I have an ATI Card (FireGL 4800). Although I _can_ enable OpenGL acceleration in PS-32, I cannot get 10-bit color to work, even though it works in 64-bit PS.

I really doubt these are driver issues. If 3D acceleration of x86 programs under Win-x64 wasn't fully supported, most video games would have problems. So I think the problem must be with the way Photoshop is using the video card.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: nemophoto on July 01, 2011, 12:14:54 pm
Tried that before, but i might as well try it again. (Reminds me of the old Apple tech support with System 9 -- "First, turn off all extensions...".)

+1  This would be my next try.. holding down the shift/cntl/alt keys while opening the program forces the preferences to reset.. and to take another look at your card.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: Pictus on July 18, 2011, 10:16:24 am
No problem here, Intel CPU+Nvidia+Win7 x64

Suggestions:
-Use the latest driver, current version is 275.33
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Sometimes the driver installation get messy and we need a proper way
to reinstall, see http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

-Any strange Photoshop behavior and resenting PS preferences may make
things back to normal, after updating the video driver is a good time to do.

-If everything fail, reinstall the operational system from scratch...
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: Steve House on July 19, 2011, 12:30:26 pm
My memory might be faulty but isn't GPU acceleration only documented to be available when running the 64bit version of Photoshop.  I seem to recall reading somewhere on the Adobe site that it was not available in the 32 bit version even is it was running on a 64bit OS platform.
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: John.Murray on July 19, 2011, 04:30:28 pm
I wonder if your issue might be AMD's lack of support for SSE 4.1+ extensions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4
Title: Re: GPU acceleration and Photoshop
Post by: jerryrock on July 19, 2011, 05:03:12 pm
I don't know if you read the Adobe troubleshooter for GPU acceleration and Photoshop. Here it is:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html