Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: BobDavid on June 28, 2011, 01:05:56 pm
-
A regal canine.
-
Nice one! The image too! ;)
Mike.
-
It looks like you have selected the dog and pasted it into a new background or you have cloned the background. There aren't any stray hairs showing on the left hand side of the dog. Your processing appears to have spoiled a potentially nice image of a dog. :(
-
No cloning, no pasting, just a little blurring. I see what you're talking about, funny how the dog blends in so much better in the print version.
-
It looks like you have selected the dog and pasted it into a new background or you have cloned the background. There aren't any stray hairs showing on the left hand side of the dog. Your processing appears to have spoiled a potentially nice image of a dog. :(
Bloody hairdressers and makeup artists ruin everything these days!
Rob C
-
Woof, woof!
-
Woof, woof!
Dare I whisper: miau...?
Rob C
-
Better not. Poncho is likely to bite you.
-
Looks like the thread has been dogjacked? :-[
-
Now catnapped. Barking cat (http://www.wimp.com/catbarks/).
Cheers,
-
Now catnapped. Barking cat (http://www.wimp.com/catbarks/).
Cheers,
This thread is becoming quite educational; one cat writes miau whereas another meow. This clearly demonstrates the cultural differences between the Italian/Spanish worlds and the English/Amerenglish, the phonetic distinctions that both unite and divide the peoples.
Who needs war zones when all you have to do is turn on, tune in and then find that Vista is switching you off because it has decided, on your behalf, you understand, to download another three modifications unto itself? Worse, it cut me off right in the middle of this:
http://youtu.be/H_lqJk5JzeA
which is obiously the only reasonable way to approach 10a.m. and the need to go make some ersatz coffee.
;-(
Rob C
-
Now catnapped. Barking cat (http://www.wimp.com/catbarks/).
Cheers,
Too funny!!!!
-
This thread is becoming quite educational; one cat writes miau whereas another meow. This clearly demonstrates the cultural differences between the Italian/Spanish worlds and the English/Amerenglish, the phonetic distinctions that both unite and divide the peoples.
I've always seen it spelled miaow. Double it and (apparently) you get a recreational drug. Set it to music and you get this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sluzi-QGtyA), by Rossini (it's a bit long and, to my mind, taken rather too slowly, but it's funny to start with).
Jeremy
-
I've always seen it spelled miaow. Double it and (apparently) you get a recreational drug. Set it to music and you get this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sluzi-QGtyA), by Rossini (it's a bit long and, to my mind, taken rather too slowly, but it's funny to start with).
Jeremy
Hmmm... that could be a local dialect slipping in there; I have sometimes followed in the footsteps of tourists and wondered where on Earth they come from, only to realise, when I have caught a particular word, that they are actually English!
Broadly speaking (rolls his eyes), regional accents are one thing, but they are often complicated further by tiny local differences such as, for example, those between Paisley and Glasgow; only around five miles or so centre-to-centre if you lack wings, but different. Here in Mallorca they have their own language which is called Mallorquin, a sort of Catalan, which is a quite different creature to the Castilian language which most assume is what Spanish is - if they live elsewhere. The odd thing I find is that when Mallorquin is spoken, it might as well be Russian as far as I understand it; however, when written, it is relatively easy for me to catch the drift because it looks to be a mixture of Spanish (see what I mean?), Italian and French. However, I'm told that some people have difficulty understanding one another in it if they come from different towns within these islands; then, ironically, they have to revert to Castilian as a lingua franca.
Apart from us cats, I suppose it affects the people in similar fashion.
Rob C
-
Rob, I am continually amazed by accents. I had lunch in a Vietnamese restaurant recently grazing on bun bo xao (yum). I heard a normal Australian conversation but when I looked up I saw a 30-40 year old woman of Chinese parentage. Watching The Bill always intrigues me when it comes to accents.
A Scott speaking Spanish, now that is something that has to be seen/heard to be believed.
Cheers,
-
Rob, I am continually amazed by accents. I had lunch in a Vietnamese restaurant recently grazing on bun bo xao (yum). I heard a normal Australian conversation but when I looked up I saw a 30-40 year old woman of Chinese parentage. Watching The Bill always intrigues me when it comes to accents.
A Scott speaking Spanish, now that is something that has to be seen/heard to be believed.
Cheers,
I didn't know that. I hadn't realised that the Chinese talk to themselves in Australian.
Of course, I talk to myself all day long and, on occasion, I have even fallen out with myself. But I usually do that in English. However, I have started to swear to myself in Spanish Castilian and it feels rather different. Strange to tell, the Castilian word for that most feminine of parts which is so often (perversely) used as a cuss word, turns out to be a masculine noun. Who will ever understand national idiosyncracies? Maybe HSBC.
Rob C
-
In German the nouns for knife, fork, and spoon are of three different genders. Go figure.
Eric
-
Eric, You knew someone was going to ask: what's the third gender?
-
Eric, You knew someone was going to ask: what's the third gender?
Any old Scot could tell you: boy, girl or hairdresser. It's a traditional reply to the obvious question when a new baby comes along. As in tiny child, I mean.
Rob C
-
Eric, You knew someone was going to ask: what's the third gender?
I'll fool myself into thinking that that's a genuine question, Russ, and answer: neuter. Interestingly, bearing in mind Rob's reply, German babies are neuter (der Mann, die Frau, das Baby).
Well, that's 90% of my knowledge of German on display. I hope it's correct.
Jeremy
-
I'll fool myself into thinking that that's a genuine question, Russ, and answer: neuter. Interestingly, bearing in mind Rob's reply, German babies are neuter (der Mann, die Frau, das Baby).
Well, that's 90% of my knowledge of German on display. I hope it's correct.
Jeremy
Any word yet on the adults, Jeremy? We have Claudia, we have Karl... there's another whose name escapes me for the moment... no! he's Swiss.
Rob C
-
Jeremy is right (about 'neuter,' that is). In German “the knife” is “Das Messer” (neuter); “the fork” is “die Gabel” (feminine), and “the spoon” is “der Löffel” (masculine). And contrary to conventions in some other languages, the Sun in German is feminine, while the Moon is masculine.
French has its own peculiarities (for English speakers, at least), since there is no way to refer to "it," only to "her" or "him."
And, yes, the German baby is "das Kind" (neuter).
Eric
-
Jeremy is right (about 'neuter,' that is). In German “the knife” is “Das Messer” (neuter); “the fork” is “die Gabel” (feminine), and “the spoon” is “der Löffel” (masculine). And contrary to conventions in some other languages, the Sun in German is feminine, while the Moon is masculine.
French has its own peculiarities (for English speakers, at least), since there is no way to refer to "it," only to "her" or "him."
And, yes, the German baby is "das Kind" (neuter).
Eric
"Kind" is "child", isn't it? "Baby" is "baby". Still more curiously, as I dimly recall, a young girl is also neuter (das Mädchen).
Jeremy
-
For some reason combining "knife" and "neuter" sends chills down my spine.
-
For some reason combining "knife" and "neuter" sends chills down my spine.
Woof, woof, woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
Rob C
-
For such a tiny industrialised country, the Netherlands does rather well in the language/dialect stakes. It actually has two official languages, Dutch and Frisian, and loads of dialects. The Limburg group of dialects is recognised as a regional language, though it spreads over into Belgium and Germany as well. Dutch has two grammatical genders, common and neuter. English, on the other hand, has natural gender. In English, masculine humans are 'he' and feminine ones are 'she'. Simple. Animals we are fond of can be promoted to human status, depending on their sex. Ditto babies. Inanimate objects are virtually always neuter (it).* All these distinctions are neutralised in the plural (they). Learning grammatical gender in another language is a headache for Anglophones, as the system (haha) seems irrational. And even within groups of related languages there are inconsistencies: French la mer (the sea, feminine), Spanish el mar (masculine). How nice to learn a language like Japanese, where there is no article system, and where adjectives do not inflect according to the gender of the accompanying noun.
*Ships, cars and other machines some males are emotionally attached may be 'she'.
-
For such a tiny industrialised country, the Netherlands does rather well in the language/dialect stakes. It actually has two official languages, Dutch and Frisian, and loads of dialects. The Limburg group of dialects is recognised as a regional language, though it spreads over into Belgium and Germany as well. Dutch has two grammatical genders, common and neuter. English, on the other hand, has natural gender. In English, masculine humans are 'he' and feminine ones are 'she'. Simple. Animals we are fond of can be promoted to human status, depending on their sex. Ditto babies. Inanimate objects are virtually always neuter (it).* All these distinctions are neutralised in the plural (they). Learning grammatical gender in another language is a headache for Anglophones, as the system (haha) seems irrational. And even within groups of related languages there are inconsistencies: French la mer (the sea, feminine), Spanish el mar (masculine). How nice to learn a language like Japanese, where there is no article system, and where adjectives do not inflect according to the gender of the accompanying noun.
*Ships, cars and other machines some males are emotionally attached may be 'she'.
Sorry to rock the boat - in Spanish, it is also sometimes la mar... nuttin' ain't easy! Make of that what you will!
Rob C
-
It IS??? Thank you for some new knowledge What is it in Mallorquin, by the way? In any case, in Italian it's il mare.
-
It IS??? Thank you for some new knowledge What is it in Mallorquin, by the way? In any case, in Italian it's il mare.
Mallorquin is a closed book to me when spoken, but I can get a reasonable interpretation from reading the posters in the doctor's waiting room - mixture of French, Spanish, Italian and, I suspect, Moorish traces from long ago. But the sound is quite unintelligible to my cloth ears. I think they say el mar, just to give the rest of us a false sense of security, the silly idea that we might be getting to grips with the thing.
Anyway, in Castilian: hablar de la mar equates with to attempt something impossible; correr con la mar en popa means to scud before the sea; hacerse a la mar means to put out to sea (these latter two, in nautical terms).
No wonder I try to keep a low profile and avoid local politics; could get myself hanged by mistake!
Rob C