Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Jeffrey Murray on June 24, 2011, 11:54:39 am

Title: New website, Take a look
Post by: Jeffrey Murray on June 24, 2011, 11:54:39 am
I just finished my new website.  It took months to make because I wrote most of the code and had to teach myself how.  Its through photoshelter and still a constant work in process.  Let me know what you think!

www.jeffreymurrayphotography.com
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 24, 2011, 12:15:11 pm
The arrow keys work! That's good.

It may be just me, but I like a gallery to be a gallery, without all the blurb underneath. Each time I move from photo to photo, the text jumps upwards, then downwards again as the image loads. It's ugly and distracting and unnecessary. I was looking at the "recent" gallery, using Safari on a 4-year-old MacBook Pro, latest versions of all relevant software.

Pretty shots, certainly.

Jeremy
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Johnphoto on June 25, 2011, 06:26:32 am
Nice website and your photography is great, but your images are showing way too much color saturation. It is like covering a sophisticated meal with 1 inch of cheese. Either you like it like this or you have the wrong color profile. For internet it is best to use Adobe 98 RGB.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on June 25, 2011, 10:48:40 am
For internet it is best to use Adobe 98 RGB.

How do you come to saying that ? I always thought sRGB was de facto internet standard...
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Johnphoto on June 26, 2011, 05:51:49 am
I know that sRGB is standard, but I have had far more problems with over saturation using sRGB than with Adobe 98. I am not an expert on this, but that is my own experience. I might be a bit too picky on strong colors, but I don´t like nature looking like a cartoon. Less is more.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: tq-g on June 26, 2011, 07:39:34 am
I know that sRGB is standard, but I have had far more problems with over saturation using sRGB than with Adobe 98. I am not an expert on this, but that is my own experience. I might be a bit too picky on strong colors, but I don´t like nature looking like a cartoon. Less is more.
That's a problem on your side. It could, for instance, be due to a wide-gamut display not properly set for sRGB. Either way, sRGB is the standard on the web and it's the safest to use to ensure a correct display. Converted but untagged images will display well on all monitors set to sRGB, but look oversaturated on non-managed wide-gamut displays. Embedding an sRGB-profile will display the images properly on wide-gamut displays, if they are viewed from a color-managed browser.

With that said, I think those are some fantastic photos!
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: PeterAit on June 26, 2011, 09:30:47 am
Nice photos, but I dislike the automatic slide show. As soon as I start really looking at a photo, it is gone.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Johnphoto on June 26, 2011, 12:50:05 pm
Quote
That's a problem on your side. It could, for instance, be due to a wide-gamut display not properly set for sRGB. Either way, sRGB is the standard on the web and it's the safest to use to ensure a correct display. Converted but untagged images will display well on all monitors set to sRGB, but look oversaturated on non-managed wide-gamut displays. Embedding an sRGB-profile will display the images properly on wide-gamut displays, if they are viewed from a color-managed browser.

With that said, I think those are some fantastic photos!

I have a calibrated screen. Still too much saturation.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Lonnie Utah on June 26, 2011, 11:14:18 pm
http://jeffreymurray.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/NEW-RELEASES/G00005nImqEVD4OU/I0000DbkN.qLkdYA

I'm assuming you'll clone the dust spots of of this one if some buys it??   :-\
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Lonnie Utah on June 27, 2011, 07:19:36 am
Well spotted

RDRDRR...  :D
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on June 27, 2011, 01:43:42 pm
How do you come to saying that ? I always thought sRGB was de facto internet standard...

It is but sRGB conversion causes serious colour saturation when viewed on the web especially with good monitors. If you convert an image in CS and proof it using monitor RGB you will see hoe it will look. Cyans, blues reds, oranges yellows all go bananas. I have to tone back the colours before posting my images....at least now I do. I only realized it was that bad when I got the Eizo..and ya it is calibrated  :P

Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on June 27, 2011, 02:35:26 pm
It is but sRGB conversion causes serious colour saturation when viewed on the web especially with good monitors. If you convert an image in CS and proof it using monitor RGB you will see hoe it will look. Cyans, blues reds, oranges yellows all go bananas. I have to tone back the colours before posting my images....at least now I do. I only realized it was that bad when I got the Eizo..and ya it is calibrated  :P

sRGB conversion with perceptual rendering intent?
Absolute or relative rendering intent I'd understand, but perceptive should get the saturation down as needed if I'm not mistaken or did I miss something here?
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on June 27, 2011, 02:54:34 pm
Hi Christoph.
Now you got me worried  :) I hope I'm not talking baloney
Convert an image to sRGB and than proof it using Monitor RGB even with perceptual selected you will see a drastic difference. Monitor RGB shows how it appears on the web.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Lonnie Utah on June 27, 2011, 03:03:49 pm
Don't take any chances.  Get one of these... (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=passport+color+checker&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8257461098921014513&sa=X&ei=49MITvfhNKPf0QGIncC1Cw&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAQ)
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: ckimmerle on June 27, 2011, 04:22:59 pm
Hi Christoph.
Now you got me worried  :) I hope I'm not talking baloney
Convert an image to sRGB and than proof it using Monitor RGB even with perceptual selected you will see a drastic difference. Monitor RGB shows how it appears on the web.

I'm pretty sure that MonitorRGB does not have anything to do with the web.
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on June 27, 2011, 04:35:38 pm
I use monitor RGB to proof because I am simulating how browsers show the image and not just how sRGB looks on the computer. I'm not a colour nut but that's how the Lynda.com tutorial went anyway. ???
Title: Re: New website, Take a look
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on June 28, 2011, 10:52:23 am
Hi Nick.

Thanks for that. Very useful.  :)