Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: NigelC on June 23, 2011, 09:25:51 am
-
Recently replaced laptop with Win 7 64bit 2.2 i7 Thinkpad W520 with 8GB of RAM and pretty high spec graphics card. I think that should be faster for Photoshop than my desktop, which is Vista 64/Intel6600 and about 2.5yrs old. I was wondering if I could use laptop as primary machine running its own screen and also my ACD 23" via display port-DVI link, so that images on one and toolbars/palettes on the other? Also, is there some way I could take advantage of the desktops internal HDDs (2x640GB in RAID 0) which is the one area it has an advantage over laptop's 500GB HDD?
-
Just plug the 23" display into the laptop. Windows will recognize the additional display (Right Click your desktop & select Display Resolution).
The only way you'll be able to access the drives in your desktop is via a network share.
-
Thanks, but how do I create a LAN for my desktop and laptop - ethernet cable or do I need a router/hub to do that?
-
Are both machines able to access the internet? If so, then they are already networked. Windows 7 has a great "homegroup" networking wizard - allowing you to share your docs folder.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449416(WS.10).aspx
-
Thanks, but not sure whether this would work when one is Win 7 and the other is Vista.
-
Thanks, but not sure whether this would work when one is Win 7 and the other is Vista.
I can't see why this would be the case. Another simple way of connecting the computers would be to plug them together using a single ethernet cable, it used to be that you needed a "crossover" cable to directly link two machines, but the newer controllers don't need that now.
-
Nigel, sorry for the presumption - it's still possible to share files between Vista and Win 7:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-do-i-make-windows-7-homegroup-content-accessible-to-vista-and-xp/1910
-
thanks