Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2011, 08:48:28 am

Title: I am going to have to start selling these
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2011, 08:48:28 am
Hi all,

I have never put one of my more recent 'better' quality images up on this site, as I didn't want to give them away, however, here is one of my more recent experiments that I took only about three weeks ago. I know it is only a small and low res version, because I think (hope) my images are becoming quite saleable (you have to have confidence in yourself and your own abilities if nothing else) and so I wish to be able to sell the larger print versions of it.

This image displayed on my screen at home in high res is stunning. When I look at it and the many others images I have taken/made over the last year, I marvel at just how lucky I have been to capture them in the fleeting moment it all came together, but I am now also realising, it is no longer luck, I seem to have turned a corner about 18 months ago, as I am now getting quite a few "lucky" shots to add to my portfolio.

So for all you out there who think I am simply blowing my own trumpet, believe me I really am not, I want this example to encourage you to keep pushing forward, because you can get there if you really want to. I know what it is like to be stuck in a rut, but I also know what it is like to keep on moving forward, regardless of all the failures and missed opportunities and never give up.

I now have quite a few images at this level of quality as a result.

So don't be envious, be challenged, dig deep and keep moving forward.

all the best

Photobloke
Title: Re: I am going to have to start selling these
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on June 23, 2011, 09:11:43 am
Its a beautiful image, but I find the toning too intense.
I myself did some split toning images in the last months,
and now looking at them I think I should further desaturate them.
Title: Re: I am going to have to start selling these
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 23, 2011, 09:36:24 am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for those kind words Chris, much appreciated...

The original full sized version on my PC is just a straight no frills black and white, because as I said, this small res image was just an experiment to see if I could squeeze a bit more out of it - I know, we always want more don't we.

It isn't a really split tone as such, but just one of the warming filters in PS layered on top - but now you mention it, I suppose subconciously a split tone effect was probably what I was after and this was as much as I could concentrate on doing at the time, as the boss was watching Desperate Housewifes playing loudly in the other corner of the room.

Photobloke
Title: Re: I am going to have to start selling these
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on June 23, 2011, 10:14:32 am
..... and this was as much as I could concentrate on doing at the time, as the boss was watching Desperate Housewifes playing loudly in the other corner of the room.

Sounds like a safe receipe to ruin every image in pp ;) .
Maybe you could keep something to throw near your desk, like an old sandal or a brick stone or an unused Leica or something as a silencer.
Title: Re: I am going to have to start selling these
Post by: popnfresh on June 23, 2011, 10:53:10 am
Its a beautiful image, but I find the toning too intense.
I think it's slightly high, but not terribly distracting. At least for me. I would back it off maybe 25% from where it is now.

BTW, great shot!