Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Kayencee on June 23, 2011, 08:04:23 am
-
Hi,
I am looking for real image databases with either low dynamic range or with a sparse histogram.
Can someone please provide some help.
Thanks.
Kayencee.
-
It's unclear what exactly you mean by "real image database," "low dynamic range" or "sparse histogram," but this (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lowdynamicrange/) should get you started.
-
Thanks for the link.
By dynamic range, I meant the range of intensities in the image, i.e., the difference of the maximum and minimum intensity (e.g., its 255 for an 8-bit image).
By spare histogram (for example for an 8-bit image) I meant that the image takes on only a few intensity values in the range [0,255].
Kayencee.
-
I don't have a source, but I have observed that these images are often difficult to work with in the digital darkroom, simply because we too often want to have a full range of tonal values in the image. That's very easy to accomplish with "levels" in PS, but the result usually does not match what our eyes saw. One of the biggest challenges when looking at the monitor is trying to remember just what that scene looked like a few days, weeks, or months previously when we opened the shutter.
-
Low dynamic range scene, and sparse image histogram:
(http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/histogram/niebla.jpg) . (http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/histogram/niebla.gif)
Regards
-
Lightroom Before & After album (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.145690492114992.28367.145239152160126)
Check out the first 3 images in this album. 1st is RAW from camera, 2nd is my processing, and 3rd is the 2 histograms in LR3.