Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: stuartworley on June 19, 2011, 09:27:05 pm

Title: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: stuartworley on June 19, 2011, 09:27:05 pm
I have several questions regarding the NEC SpetraviewII monitors (241W & 271W) with respect to connection to a Macbook Pro. They may have been asked and answered somewhere in this forum, but I haven't found it.

Anyway, I have mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 15" laptop (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT).

What I'd like to know is:

1) Can this laptop run either the NEC 241W or NEC 271W monitors at their full capability (AbdobeGB)?

2) Would I have to upgrade the video card to communicate with these monitors in 10-bit mode? (and do I care?)

3) Assuming the answer to (1) is yes, should I order the "-SK" version of this monitor, given that I already have a ColorMunki?

4) What cable do I need to connect the laptop to the monitor?

I realize that these are kind of basic questions, but I have seen various attempts at answers from "experts" on other websites.

Thanks,

Stuart
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: howardm on June 20, 2011, 07:06:29 am
1. yes
2. not possible nor is OSX capable of a 10bit video path
2a. I doubt you really care
3. you can simply purchase the Spectraview software for $89 directly from NEC and use the Munki (fully supported)
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: Czornyj on June 20, 2011, 09:41:21 am
4. You need miniDP to DP cable/adaptor. You can also use miniDP to DVI adaptor, but you need "Apple dual-link miniDP to DVI" adapter (with USB plug) to get 2560x1440 resolution
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: stuartworley on June 20, 2011, 11:00:16 am
Thanks for the quick and succinct answers.

Now, I just need to decide between the 24 and 27 inch models.

Stuart
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: WillH on June 20, 2011, 02:01:59 pm
You don't need the "-SV" bundle if you already have a ColorMunki. As Czornyj said, just get the monitor and software.

Also I would recommend getting the correct miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable:
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitor-misc/pa-mdp-cabl
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: The View on July 06, 2011, 12:25:46 pm
You don't need the "-SV" bundle if you already have a ColorMunki. As Czornyj said, just get the monitor and software.

Also I would recommend getting the correct miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable:
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitor-misc/pa-mdp-cabl


Would this $30 cable be the same as the Apple Dual link connector ($100)?
Title: Re: NEC SpectraviewII monitor questions
Post by: howardm on July 06, 2011, 12:30:19 pm
I think the Apple cable is required for the 30" monitor but not needed for the 24 or 27  (YMMV)