Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Johnphoto on June 16, 2011, 10:38:48 am

Title: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: Johnphoto on June 16, 2011, 10:38:48 am
I have always been inspired by the photography by Eliot Porter. His interpretations of the intimate landscape is still my bench mark in landscape photography. Now, I just recently discovered the work by swedish photographer Hans Strand and I must say, he is at the same level. Simply fantastic! http://www.hansstrand.com/Hans_Strand/Intimate_Landscapes_12.html
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: wolfnowl on June 16, 2011, 02:12:43 pm
Thanks for sharing the link!

Mike.
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: Justan on June 17, 2011, 12:31:52 am
^what he wrote^

Delightful
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: bill t. on June 17, 2011, 12:58:02 am
Yes gorgeous work, as good as it gets!

I wonder what Eliot Porter's work would have been like in the digital age?  In looking at a collection of his dye transfers recently I was reminded how digital has widened the range of photo-interpretable subjects.  In his day Eliot would have had to chose from a much more limited set of subjects and lighting conditions that were friendly to the characteristics of his film and print-making technology.

Digital would certainly have released a lot of those constraints, but then the question is...would that have been to the better?  Constraints can give you a kind of freedom by letting you get to work in space your are not required to struggle out of.  To what extent was Eliot defined by the limitations of his media?  Would larger possibilities have helped or hindered his art?  But I wander, as usual.
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: Hassyman on June 17, 2011, 06:11:07 am
Great that you found the work by Hans Strand. He has become my House God since a few months back in time. I am a great admirer of Eliot Porter as well. I also like the question, what would have happened if Porter would have had access to the digital world? Probably he would have made 4 times more images and with better colors? On the other hand the old colors gave his work personality.
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: Johnphoto on June 18, 2011, 06:23:15 am
Yes, Porter“s work would probably have had better colors and shadow detail. However perfect is not always perfect. There is some kind of magic in the old photographs. What I like with Hans Strand, is that his work is not over the top, like too many contemporary digital post processing magicians are.
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: 2jbourret on June 19, 2011, 01:05:45 am
Strand is indeed a master, truly inspiring. It is surprising that his work is not better known here in the US. The aerial abstracts of the braided river beds are simply amazing!
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: Hassyman on June 19, 2011, 01:36:57 pm
I find these aerials amazing in terms of composition and color:

http://www.hansstrand.com/Hans_Strand/Delta_%26_Lake_2.html

http://www.hansstrand.com/Hans_Strand/Wetland_6.html

http://www.hansstrand.com/Hans_Strand/River_Bend.html
Title: Re: Masters of The Intimate Landscape
Post by: EduPerez on June 20, 2011, 02:08:14 am
Bookmarked, many thanks!