Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Janine4d on June 08, 2011, 07:02:12 am

Title: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: Janine4d on June 08, 2011, 07:02:12 am
Hello, I'm new here, first post in fact. Thought I'd start off with some photos from this weekend in the Ardennes in Belgium (can't seem to link the large versions, but should be able to see them by clicking on them here and then again in Flickr):

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/5810089286_e59cef7064_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089286/)
Shed (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089286/) by Janine4d (http://www.flickr.com/people/janine4d/), on Flickr

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/5810089170_f2fa13df66_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089170/)
Sunny Village 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5810089170/) by Janine4d (http://www.flickr.com/people/janine4d/), on Flickr

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5805687996_752335e3d0_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5805687996/)
L'Ourthe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/janine4d/5805687996/) by Janine4d (http://www.flickr.com/people/janine4d/), on Flickr

They were all taken with my Panasonic GF1 and 14mm pancake lens. The first one uses just 1 exposure (was shot from a moving car so didn't have the option of taking more than one, but the light wasn't that contrasty luckily), the second one is 7 exposures and the last one 8. For the last one the light was blindingly bright, the photo would have been impossible without multiple exposures. I excluded the water from the "ghost removal" since I liked the streaky look. I do feel a bit lost here between all the "high end gear talk" with my little camera btw but I guess I shouldn't let that put me off. ;)

Anyway, thanks for looking, and greetings from the Netherlands!
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: Ken Bennett on June 08, 2011, 07:34:12 am
Nice photos. I think I actually like the shed photo best - gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "drive by shooting...."

Don't be put off by gear, I love my little GF1 for travel and personal work. The 14mm is a wonderful lens. I leave my big cameras at work, otherwise I would always be at work, no?
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: Janine4d on June 08, 2011, 08:06:31 am
Nice photos. I think I actually like the shed photo best - gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "drive by shooting...."

Don't be put off by gear, I love my little GF1 for travel and personal work. The 14mm is a wonderful lens. I leave my big cameras at work, otherwise I would always be at work, no?

True, and thanks! :) And it's nice to see someone else with this setup.
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: popnfresh on June 08, 2011, 12:20:03 pm
I really like how you're seeing the light in these shots.
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: RSL on June 09, 2011, 01:51:02 pm
Janine, I agree with Pop. #3 is especially good. Backlight always snaps, crackles, and pops.
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: wolfnowl on June 09, 2011, 02:27:08 pm
Hi Janine, and welcome to the list!  I agree with Russ... the lighting in #3 is the best of the bunch!

Mike.
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2011, 02:36:40 pm
Hi Janine, and welcome to the list!  I agree with Russ... the lighting in #3 is the best of the bunch!
Certainly true, although the light in the first is none too bad either.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Belgium weekend trip (and first post, hi all!)
Post by: Janine4d on June 09, 2011, 07:35:00 pm
Thanks all :)