Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Matt Tilghman on June 02, 2011, 02:48:07 pm

Title: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: Matt Tilghman on June 02, 2011, 02:48:07 pm
Hey all.  This is an old photo, but I've never shown it here before.  But my main reason for posting is that I came across it yesterday and thought, hey that might look good in black and white!  So the B&W version is new.  Thoughts?  Preferences?

Btw, that tree is gone now :(

(http://tilghman.smugmug.com/Landscapes/South-Florida/tree1sf/375998105_YVCsg-O-1.jpg)

(http://tilghman.smugmug.com/Landscapes/South-Florida/i-XZj49zS/0/O/tree1BWS.jpg)
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 02, 2011, 05:39:21 pm
I like the added drama of the BW version.

Eric
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: JohnTodd on June 02, 2011, 05:42:18 pm
For me: sky yes, foreground no.
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 03, 2011, 11:53:19 am
For me: sky yes, foreground no.
I agree, although it might be possible to do something about it. The conversion seems to have muddied the water (literally, for a change). Could you try lightening the foreground a bit, so the details remain apparent?

The sky is much more dramatic in the b&w.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: wolfnowl on June 04, 2011, 01:12:44 am
I agree.  The B&W version has a lot more drama, but I'd try to add some contrast to the water.

Mike.
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: Sareesh Sudhakaran on June 04, 2011, 02:11:16 am
To my untrained eye, the color photograph is more powerful.
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: francois on June 04, 2011, 04:00:29 am
I'm joining the B/W lover group for this photo. The foreground is a bit busy for me but it's nitpicking.
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: JohnBrew on June 04, 2011, 07:56:52 am
Nice drama. I feel some selective cropping at the bottom would help immensely.
Title: Re: Mangrove tree BW
Post by: David Sutton on June 04, 2011, 06:12:09 pm
I prefer the B&W version as well. I don't think colour adds much to the image, for me it gets in the way.
What is the photograph about? My eye is drawn immediately to the light patch above the tree. I'm lead there by the diagonal lighter water to the right and by the sweep of the clouds on the right. The next place I'm lead to is the dead wood on the left of the tree. I think the curve of the tree is attractive and is echoed elsewhere in elements of the image. Could I suggest that bringing that out a little and if the tree is the subject then redirecting the eye there?