Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: PeterAit on May 30, 2011, 02:05:50 pm

Title: Power clean one channel in 4880?
Post by: PeterAit on May 30, 2011, 02:05:50 pm
I have a clog in one of the 8 channels that I can't get rid of with the standard cleaning cycle. I hate to waste ink from the other 7 channels to do a power cleaning. Can I do just the one?
Title: Re: Power clean one channel in 4880?
Post by: Mark D Segal on May 30, 2011, 02:19:39 pm
Doesn't the manual say whether this is possible? On the 4900 I can do TWO channels at a time. I don't know the 4880, but if it's similar to the 4800 - no.
Title: Re: Power clean one channel in 4880?
Post by: PeterAit on May 30, 2011, 02:22:52 pm
The manual says nothing, but I was hoping there was some hack that would let me do this. Thanks.
Title: Re: Power clean one channel in 4880?
Post by: Mark D Segal on May 30, 2011, 02:30:30 pm
Hi Peter - if the manual says nothing I quite confidently think there is no "undocumented feature" facilitating it. Doesn't mean to say there aren't tinkerers out there who haven't tried, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear of success stories.
Title: Re: Power clean one channel in 4880?
Post by: Wayne Fox on May 30, 2011, 04:51:57 pm
I have a clog in one of the 8 channels that I can't get rid of with the standard cleaning cycle. I hate to waste ink from the other 7 channels to do a power cleaning. Can I do just the one?
All power cleans clean the entire head on all Epson printers.  You may want to do a normal clean then immediately shut the printer down for about 24 hours (if you can), then do a normal clean after powering it up.  Continued cleaning can aggravate clogs. Having the head sealed for a period of time often allows the dried ink to soften up so it can clear.