Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: henrikfoto on May 26, 2011, 04:13:25 am
-
Is there any news about the Leaf afi cameras?
Have they been taken over by another company that will produse them now or in the near future
and is it a "safe" system to invest into?
I am very tempted by the camera itself and some of the lenses, but will it be a dead and like the Contax 645?
Henrik
-
Hi Henrik,
I tend to believe so, yes. However, that depends on Leaf who is rumored to own the rights to Hy6 camera... and if they develop the Afi backs beyond Afi-II 12. Perhaps also if they will end up to join DHW for the Hy6 camera and lenses or buy them from DHW for customers, or at least if the Leaf agents will do so... Perhaps it depends on how many buys Afi backs, but I understand they sold quite some of them??? ;D
You can read of the Afi and Hy6 versions of the cameras here http://rolleiflexpages.com/, including of course the unfortunate business history.
DHW is now producing Rolleiflex Hy6 and other Rolleiflex cameras and have also produced new lens, 6x6 film back etc.
Here in Hong Kong there is now an agent for DHW's Rolleiflex, www.livecoal.com.hk . They provide three years warranty, whereof for the first year a free loaner is provided if the Hy6 is sent for service (to DHW). Even that aside there seem advantage to at current go with a Hy6 from DHW because they will support it. I do not know what support there is for the non DHW Hy6 or Afi cameras. My communication with DHW has been direct with their CEO who is very supportive.
Having researched quite a bit when now upgrading my Leaf back, my personal conclusion is that the Hy6 and its lenses is technically and optically superior to Mamiya system. Ergonomics and balance is much superior and the waist level finder is what it should be. Flat out I am tired of the quirks of the Mamiya system. My impression is that the Hy6 seem like the best designed camera for MFDB, period.
The Afi back itself is also a more modern verions of the Leaf backs in design and its tilt screen. It should work great on a tech camera as well. ;)
With above I have ordered my DHW Hy6 and upgraded to Afi back and actually will receive them in a few hours today :). I should mention that per request they can make the DHW Hy6 to accept Leaf battery in handle, what other camera brings this convenience and made today?
Regards
Anders
-
Hi Anders!
This is great news!
Do you have the impression these newly prodused cameras have exactly the same quality as the
original ones?
Do you know what the price is?
Henrik
-
Hi Henrik,
I assume that they are same quality and made from parts bin at current. The quality seems really great and they are worth looking into for serious. Dont just go by my word, but do some research and you will find that seems those that use the Hy6 very much like the Hy6 and the Rollei Schneider and Zeiss lenses. As with any system lenses vary, but many are very superb and seem with a real character unlike Mamiya which plain just are sharp, e.g. 45D etc.
Frankly I was looking into Hassy V system, which bodies are made in Goteborg Sweden where I grew up. However... the V system has old design... the Hy6 seems per my imrpession like what a modern version of it should be. The lenses for the Rollei are at least as good as for Hassy.
I purchased mine from 9days.com.hk which is one of the dealers of Livecoal. Also Livecoal can sell you but they keep a higher price than dealers. You can also negotiate with dealer, but I will not disclose the price I pay...
Regards
Anders
-
I have been tempted by the Hy6 (and the Rollei 6008 AF) for a while now. If you decide to buy a new Hy6 camera from DHW which Leaf backs can you use? Is it only the latest Aptus-II 12 back? Or can you use all of the other Aptus-II backs as well? The Aptus-II 12 is financially out of my reach. Additionally, do you need to buy the Leaf mount to be able to use the Aptus-II backs?
-
It's probably best to consider the camera system dead until and unless Phase ressurects it officially.
With that being said, I own an AFi system and do feel it represents the best overall offering medium format has to offer for what I do (nature photography). DHW does perform repairs and upgrades in Germany, and there has been new announcements for the platform this year (such as 6x6 film backs, the AFi-II 12 digital back, and new lenses).
JV, yes, you need backs with Hy6 or AFi mount--at present, only Leaf and Sinar make these.
Henrik, there is some murkiness as to whether new backs are being produced or existing ones sold from inventory. In either case, be sure to look for firmware 3.10a3, as this firmware is accompanied by a camera body hardware upgrade (apparently an improved AF module, as well as more robust mechanical attachment for the pivoting handle).
You'll find the AFi's ergonomics second-to-none, but I wouldn't advise anyone to get in at this time unless they were comfortable owning a "dead" system (which, personally, I am).
HTH,
-Brad
-
the camera is great, perhaps with the best lens line as well
as far as the system life, though not as dead as the Contax 645, but close enough
-
the camera is great, perhaps with the best lens line as well
as far as the system life, though not as dead as the Contax 645, but close enough
Exactly!
Well, comparing to my Mamiya 645 AFDIII then what should I do? Upgrade to DF, then to DF2, DF3 until perhaps something comes from P1 that more closely manage to match Hy6 ? ... and which might end up being more $$ on Mamiya bodies than on a Hy6... :o
The Hy6 is not dead --- as long as DHW is in business, and... perhaps more likely AFDIII is out of production first... then which is worst? This is why I went with Hy6, plus I am flat tired of Mamiya and their systems and wanted something better and that is made to more professional standards. I understand their DF is better than AFDIII, but seems that DF2 will be based on the DF... Hy6 already and arguably offer the best out there today to go with MFDB. Now I might only stick to the 80mm Xenotar, but even that one should excel for portraits.
Leaf produces Afi backs, which is what go on the Hy6, both their Afi-10 and 12, not sure if Afi-7 & 8 are still produced, but available used.
Actually I would recommend anyone to consider serious, but to research thorough. If worst would come to worst, it will still be the system it is today. Perhaps so also used and new lenses will drop! :D My gut down feeling and impression is that I will much enjoy it as a great photographic tool, and that it is a TOOL. ;)
It's a crying shame that this camera has never had the backing and investment it really deserved. All the more so when you look at the current Phase One platform.
YES! And as stated in above... I was actually looking at the Hassy as way out from Mamiya... the Hy6 won at least me hands down. If I can mention three things only for there are many more: ergonomics/balance, waist level finder, lenses.
Regards
Anders
-
I just bought a new AFi body from DHW earlier in the year and a new 80mp back to go with it. I picked the AFi-12 but could also have bought a Sinar back to go with the body. DHW has come out with 2 new lenses and continues to develop new stuff for the platform. How dead can that be?
It's a beautiful camera. I loved the 6008AF and this is even better. It just completely outclasses the DF body.
-
I just bought a new AFi body from DHW earlier in the year
Is this the same as saying that you bought a Hy6 from DHW with a Leaf mount?
-
I have a rollei hy6 and am currently awaiting the 6x6 back. There is a post from a phase rep on their forum saying they have no plans to release an adapter for phase one backs but he pointed to their "sister" company and said leaf has an 80mp for it. So I wouldn't hold my breath for phase to jump on the wagon. I am in constant contact with DHW as well, they are making lenses, as I mentioned I should be receiving my 6x6 film back in 2 days or so. The only thing I can tell you as far as purchasing, if you're not getting a back with it I would suggest contacting DHW directly for the body. the price differences are outrageous.
-
Is this the same as saying that you bought a Hy6 from DHW with a Leaf mount?
Yes - Hy6/AFi are essentially interchangeable. My body actually says Rolleiflex Hy6. I had DHW configure the battery holder in the grip for the leaf style battery.
-
Forgot to add I think the title is a misnomer. The question is better put, "Does the Hy6" have any future since the camera platform is open to any digital back maker not just Leaf.
-
I'm still planning to buy one, and looking forward to it.
-
Here is the post I was speaking of
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10607
-
I'm still planning to buy one, and looking forward to it.
Graham,
I think you'll love it. There's a lot of improvements over the 6000 series bodies and just a lot of extra features like the thumb wheels on the grip that make it even easier to use. I find that I can hand hold shots at slower shutter speeds on the Hy6 than I could with the 6008AF. Never used the AF on the 6008AF but do like it on the Hy6 as its faster and more accurate. The body is lighter, the 45 deg prism better optically. The list could go on and on. It's just wonderful.
Eric
-
Forgot to add I think the title is a misnomer. The question is better put, "Does the Hy6" have any future since the camera platform is open to any digital back maker not just Leaf.
Remember that Rollie made the body, not Leaf -- Leaf just branded it. And back when it was introduced was prior to Phase acquiring Leaf and about the same time Hassy and Phase were having issues. And at that time they (Rollie) would not allow Phase to build backs for the Hy6 body. So it is unlikely that Phase will adopt the platform now to bail out Rollie. Moreover, their Leaf division currently continues to support the Hy6 mount --- so if you want to use the Rollie system now, buy a Leaf back. Phase is in the business of selling digital backs, so I suspect that if the Rollie demand gets large enough for it to be financially profitable for them, Phase would start building backs in the Hy6 mount.
Re the Phase DF. My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is the next iteration of the Phase One camera body will be a totally new design and likely become an immediate new standard for the industry. From all appearances Phase has taken the existing body about as far as it can go technically, and the DF is old enough to be nearing a typical end of product cycle. I'd also assume that any new body they release will use the Mamiya lens and body mounts simply because of the size of the installed user base for Phase M mount backs and lenses. Plus they made recent investments in bringing new M mount lens designs to the system and surely want to expand on those sales. Again, these are only my assumptions and I offer them only FWIW fodder to those considering investing in an "almost dead" system --
My humble .02 only,
-
Having researched quite a bit when now upgrading my Leaf back, my personal conclusion is that the Hy6 and its lenses is technically and optically superior to Mamiya system. Ergonomics and balance is much superior and the waist level finder is what it should be. Flat out I am tired of the quirks of the Mamiya system. My impression is that the Hy6 seem like the best designed camera for MFDB, period.
I quiet agree with you as A SINAR Hy6 owner. One can hope that sensor will continue to grow larger, and when they reach the full 56 by 56 format we will own the ideal camera.
Jerry Reed
-
Jack,
it's Rollei, not Rollie and pronounced with the 'i'. You owe it to yourself to try it again. It's vastly superior in nearly every way to the DF body. I'll be happy to drive down to Los Gatos and show you why its so excellent if you want. What happened in the past with Phase, Jenoptic, Sinar and Leaf happened then. Times are different now. It makes little business sense to put the best back on the worst body. Phase should rethink things.
Eric
-
It's vastly superior in nearly every way to the DF body.
Eric
Eric,
"Vastly superior" in every way? Really? How do you get your Hy6 to flash sync at 1/1600? How do you shoot anything faster than 1/1000 with a Hy6, since it does not have a focal plane shutter (and many Rollei PQ lenses only go to 1/500)? How do you shoot with an ultrawide 28mm lens, or maybe a Zeiss superachromat telephoto lens, when there are no such lenses for the Hy6?
Look, I am happy that you are happy with your Hy6, but please let's curb the enthusiasm here. I have owned both the Hy6 and DF camera systems and have used them extensively. Both camera systems have their beauty and appeal, and both camera systems are capable of delivering great images. I did enjoy the rotating back and the multiple viewfinders of the Hy6. However, I must disagree with you that the Hy6 is superior. I find the DF camera to be much more versatile in adapting to various situations with its focal plane shutter as well as having a wider range of lenses available to it. I also find the DF camera to be exceptionally fast and accurate in its focusing, whether it be autofocus or manual focus confirmation, and every bit as good as the Hy6 in this regard.
David
-
Jumping into this discussion is like joining a party where you know half the folks, and the others are just visiting. Like a few of the posters, I have been a Rollei fan for some time, starting c. 1993 with the 6003 camera. Over the years, as people have lost faith, I've gladly picked up Schneider lenses for a song, and now have a stable that bewilders even the tech junky in spiritual residence.
The AFI or Hy6 is a very fine addition and forward take on the MFD camera body, and it is astounding to me how fine it is to use. I suppose there are easier and more automated approaches, but the range of possible uses - from field to studio, from auto to total manual, continues to amaze.
As to the question "is it really dead?" , it depends on your viewpoint. If you are looking for active strong corporate presence, instant local repairs, and rentals - yes, its dead. On the other hand, dead systems rely on a few lonely outposts for service, and no home base.... and that's not the case here. What is true is that there is a smallish company making a living out of making and servicing this equipment. If you can deal with the smaller European manufacturing notion (no price lists posted, all communication is personal, but they take care of you), then it can work. Again, research is the key.
I mentioned to Eric a while back that I prefer the more mechanical feel of the older 6008 cameras... but that said, no way am I going back. They were film based, this is either film or digital back, as you wish. There is a lot of difference and advantages to the new camera body (new? well, seems that way still, but it is also very traditionally a modular MF camera).
One other thing. For whatever one says, or however one analyzes it, I'm finding that I'm taking and getting pictures that I never would have gotten before. The camera and system are "taking" this photog places never explored before. I couldn't have predicted this, and its hard to explain, but good tools do that. They make you better. And they help you make yourself better.
-
Eric,
"Vastly superior" in every way? Really?
David
David,
You've misquoted me. I said vastly superior in nearly every way and truly I'm surprised to see you of all people defending the DF body, as its like a clunky old pick up truck comparatively. I had one briefly on loan and could not get rid of that thing fast enough. Terrible viewfinder, and bad AF accuracy contrary to your report - it was off so far that I could not get a single part of a face in sharp focus at f/13 for head and shoulder type portraits. I shot it in the studio and could not sync at even 1/125 of second with some lenses. At that slow speed you still can get blur on hand held shots when the strobes are not fast. When you push the shutter button, the finder goes dark for an eternity - so long you lose your connection to the subject, and then finally the shutter fires. What terrible lag. I hated having to pull out and replace the 6 batteries all the time. As a 4th generation design, its an embarrassment. What do you think the Hy6 will be like after 4 cycles? Everyone argued the supposed lack of wide lenses issue, but its not bothered me. I have the 30/3.5 which is wider in 6x6 format than 28 in 645 and use lensfix with great results - search the forum for my pictures. The focal plane shutter and one wide lens option are nearly the only advantages such a camera like the DF might have, however these are minor issues. In practice shooting MF in studio or outside its rare to need faster than 1/500. Pocket wizards only go to 1/500 and most strobe durations are a longer than 1/1000 at medium settings.
The Hy6 has the shutter adapter and today I shot with a leica photar and an M-componon using a twin macro flash set up with TTL exposure metering. Not a problem to adapt other lenses either, and the rollei setup has less vibration than the focal plane shutter so I don't see the DF having an advantage at all. If I want to I can move to the X-Act2 for movements and other configurations. The hy6 has 1/3 stops in aperture and shutter, focus trapping, focus bracketing, focus screen alignment, a display in the grip with an exposure histogram, focus distance, battery voltage. You can set the Hy6 for ultra fast release and trigger the shutter in 2 milliseconds. That's fast! If you can get the DF to do it under 200 ms - tell me how. You can configure custom settings everywhere, and its way more ergonomic than the DF. Can you adjust exposure and flash compensation or ISO settings without taking your hand off the grip like you can on the Hy6. Mirror up is a button near the thumb. You already mentioned the rotating sensor... What more do you want?
Lenses? Okay I haven't check the range of the Mamiya but how many of them have leaf shutters? All of the rollei lenses do and you can get 30, 40, 50, 55pcs, 60, 80, 90, 110, 120, 150, 180, 300, 500.
Fast lenses 50/2.8, 80/2, 110/2, 180/2.8, 300/4
I guess there are some good mamiya lenses, but my recent tests the rollei 90mm apo smoked the mamiya 120 macro. The AF 80/2.8 Xenotar beat the new phase "schneider" 80. Everyone needs to test for themselves, but I write with confidence as I have used and tested both systems recently.
-
The AFI or Hy6 is a very fine addition and forward take on the MFD camera body, and it is astounding to me how fine it is to use. I suppose there are easier and more automated approaches, but the range of possible uses - from field to studio, from auto to total manual, continues to amaze.
As to the question "is it really dead?" , it depends on your viewpoint. If you are looking for active strong corporate presence, instant local repairs, and rentals - yes, its dead.
1) I never planned going Hy6 but holding one in hands, handling it and reading up on it convinced me. Also to realize the capabilities of the Hy6, the lenses and the great waist level finder.
2) Does Mamiya have instant repairs? Here in Hong Kong at least all needs to be sent to Japan, and then it is gone for six weeks or so. My AFD3 was in Japan two times the last year. With Rolleiflex I will actually have more support here in Hong Kong, since during fist year I will have a loaner for free if any repairs. I can also call up CEO at DHW for help.
3) Superior? Yes, it is a specialized tool. The Mamiya may be for more universal use (e.g. 28mm but which do not have the character that appears the Rollei lenses do) but is clunky, poor grip and which is made worse by that you need to lift the weight up to your full height. What I found was also that focus tolerances of Mamiya is not suffice well for manual focus at shallow depth of field, which is said to have bettered with the DF.
Remember that Rollie made the body, not Leaf -- Leaf just branded it. And back when it was introduced was prior to Phase acquiring Leaf and about the same time Hassy and Phase were having issues. And at that time they (Rollie) would not allow Phase to build backs for the Hy6 body. So it is unlikely that Phase will adopt the platform now to bail out Rollie. Moreover, their Leaf division currently continues to support the Hy6 mount --- so if you want to use the Rollie system now, buy a Leaf back. Phase is in the business of selling digital backs, so I suspect that if the Rollie demand gets large enough for it to be financially profitable for them, Phase would start building backs in the Hy6 mount.
Re the Phase DF. My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is the next iteration of the Phase One camera body will be a totally new design and likely become an immediate new standard for the industry. From all appearances Phase has taken the existing body about as far as it can go technically, and the DF is old enough to be nearing a typical end of product cycle. I'd also assume that any new body they release will use the Mamiya lens and body mounts simply because of the size of the installed user base for Phase M mount backs and lenses. Plus they made recent investments in bringing new M mount lens designs to the system and surely want to expand on those sales. Again, these are only my assumptions and I offer them only FWIW fodder to those considering investing in an "almost dead" system --
My humble .02 only,
Jack,
You may well find that you are wrong on this. Apparent from what I heard the DF2 will be a mere evolution of the DF, yet… truth will reveal once the DF2 is announced.
Personally I would not dare to bet on that it is impossible that something can be cooked up through Phase One or Leaf with DHW. I can well understand though if some involved in developing Hy6 could feel sour it did not take off as intended before. On other side of coin is that those involved at time achieved arguably the best camera for MFDB. Besides can one assume that there are still large stocks somewhere in Europe and perhaps even some in Isreal?
One may thus ask, why should a complete new camera be developed from scratch??? That kinda appear silly and wasteful...
The funny thing is about Phase One and that they have announced that they support an open platform and even have sued Hasselblad for closing theirs. What about Phase One backs being open to the Hy6?
Mind you though, for myself or anyone using Hy6 it would financially likely be better if Hy6 went down the drain, since then the prices of lenses would dip :)
Regards
Anders
-
...snip...
As to the question "is it really dead?" , it depends on your viewpoint. If you are looking for active strong corporate presence, instant local repairs, and rentals - yes, its dead. On the other hand, dead systems rely on a few lonely outposts for service, and no home base.... and that's not the case here. What is true is that there is a smallish company making a living out of making and servicing this equipment. If you can deal with the smaller European manufacturing notion (no price lists posted, all communication is personal, but they take care of you), then it can work. Again, research is the key.
...snip...
+1. Well put, Geoffrey!
-
Does DHW have a homepage ?
I got a price from Hong Kong for a standard kit with 80 mm for 8200$.
Is that a good price or is it possible to get it lower?
Henrik
-
I can't believe we're discussing the DF2, a camera that doesn't exist and no clue when it'll exist. I also can't believe that when and if it does exist it's likely to "become an immediate new standard for the industry".
From pumpkin to Cinderella in one swoop?
Actually I think Jack might be spot on. PhaseOne is a clever company, they took their sweet time updating the screens on the digital backs, but once they did with the IQ series they did so with a bang, and now they are undoubtedly king of the hill. I bet they've been working on a similarly improved camera design since the first day they bought Mamiya, in the meantime they did what they could to improve the AFD. It's just natural that they'd want a camera platform that matches the IQ backs in quality and innovation, and they know it's a must if they want to to compete with Hasselblad in the long run. My prediction is that they will reveal the new camera later this year and start delivery around this time next year. This is pure speculation of course, but it would make sense business-wise and from a timing standpoint.
-
PhaseOne is a clever company, they took their sweet time updating the screens on the digital backs, but once they did with the IQ series they did so with a bang, and now they are undoubtedly king of the hill. I bet they've been working on a similarly improved camera design since the first day they bought Mamiya, in the meantime they did what they could to improve the AFD.
This is also how Mamiya themselves have developed their lines down the years. Each model starts with a bang of innovation which shocks and awes the market at first. To take just some examples from their diverse history: the RB67 in 1970, M645 in 1975, RZ67 in 1982, Mamiya 6 in 1989. Then each model goes through a progression of some minor tweaks and upgrades.
Sometimes they reach "the end of history" with a model, when either the market or the the platform itself restricts further meaningful improvement. So that model coasts along for years and decades (TLR series, Universal Press, RB67), perhaps to be replaced by something completely different, another shock and awe camera (e.g. Mamiya 6 which took over from both the TLRs and the Universal Press - maintaining the 6x6 format and interchangeable lenses of the former, and the rangefinder, interchangeable lenses, and true wideangles of the latter).
But when it's a more actively developed segment of the market, you can predict that when the latest upgrade seems late in coming and/or minor in scope, it just signals that what they've really been spending their time working on behind the scenes is a whole new take on the model. When the M645 Pro became the Pro TL (development-wise, this was a yawn...scarcely nothing changed...did it really take them 4 years ('93-'97) to achieve that?), I could tell that something big was in the works - and it was - the 645AF. The same signs are there now, so I hope that this pattern will be true of the 645DF's successor.
And it better have interchangeable VFs...
Ray
-
I am not sure how innovative the M645 was when it came out but I do know that contrary to the RB67 and RZ67 it was not a good camera! Of all the medium format cameras around Phase One probably picked the worst one to build upon. To their defense it might have been their only option. I hope to be surprised but blindly assuming that Phase One/Mamiya is going to release a camera that dwarfs Hasselblad and Leica and sets a new industry standard is a little bit too fanboy like for my taste. Again, I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised...
-
Was speaking to Peartree, a Leaf dealer in London today, he was unequivical that the AFI is no longer being manufactured and what is still being sold is surviving stocks only. Going to be speaking to Yair Shachar (Leaf EU representative) on Sunday, we'll see what he says...
-
Was speaking to Peartree, a Leaf dealer in London today, he was unequivical that the AFI is no longer being manufactured and what is still being sold is surviving stocks only. Going to be speaking to Yair Shachar (Leaf EU representative) on Sunday, we'll see what he says...
The camera isn't being made any longer with the AFi/Leaf branding, but the Hy6 branded version is still being made.
-
Graham that's correct.
You can now see new Hy6 bodies being sold from a number of vendors with 2011 manufacturing dates. One can of course buy a new Hy6 camera body and have it fit for use as the AFi was with the Leaf battery contacts in the grip. It will be the same but have Rolleiflex Hy6 printed on the body instead of Leaf AFi.
Ben - It's Yair Shahar and while he may know about Leaf backs he's does not appear to be in regular contact with DHW. In general, most dealers do not know much about what's happening over there because while Rollei/DHW has made great products they don't put much energy into marketing or PR - including the website. They had a web page up with a picture of the Hy6 and 80mm apogen lens (a new and not announced lens) up earlier in the year, but I see its now taken down.
Henrik - you can order directly through DHW - contact Reiner Schoenrock
DHW Fototechnik GmbH
Salzdahlumer Str. 196
38126 Braunschweig
Telefon (0531) 68 00 100
Telefax (0531) 68 00 295
eMail [email protected]
-
Got two sets AFi+DB AFiII7 + various lenses. Ok, may be it is not the latest fashion gear but it does the work which is to give a nice tool to the photographer. The perfect camera that make perfect pictures for us is not yet on the market + will be so boring.
Two months ago, got also experience with DHW for one problem with the mirror. Service was fast and you have the good feeling that you are still a client where the supplier is doing everything they can to help you.
-
PhaseOne is a clever company, they took their sweet time updating the screens on the digital backs, but once they did with the IQ series they did so with a bang, and now they are undoubtedly king of the hill. I bet they've been working on a similarly improved camera design since the first day they bought Mamiya, in the meantime they did what they could to improve the AFD.
Phase One did not buy Mamiya. They invested money in Mamiya and became a major shareholder, but did not buy the company or controlling interest. Mamiya remains a separate company that has a close strategic and financial relationship with Phase One.
-
Have any of you heard about problems with the electrical signals in the AFI-camera? Or other technical problems?
Someone told me many users have problems with their AFI´s and that it´s more errors than with other brands.
What experiences do all you users have?
Henrik
-
Phase One initially invested in Mamiya as a minority owner. They now own a controlling interest in Mamiya.
Terminology in the public discussion thereof (press releases etc) by both companies has been shaped by the business culture of Japan regarding potentially negative views of foreign ownership of previously domestically controlled brands.
This at least is the situation as I understand it.
Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) ([email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/") | RSS Feed (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/08/11/rss-feeds/")
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off (http://"http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/buy-capture-one/")
-
Time will tell.
Ever see those esquire articles, "what happened to the future".
You know the flying cars, the jet pack, the meal in a pill, the wireless phone?
Ooops. OK we got the phone but where's the rest?
I kind of feel like that about digital cameras.
What happened to the future?
After over a decade of professional digital capture you'd think that at the highest most expensive level we'd have any iso cameras, with touch screen focus, image stabilized everything, multiple sensor or crop sizes and a way to beam the images anywhere we so desired.
I don't know, here it is in 2011 and at least I thought we'd have more than 4 1/2 players at the high end and I really would have thought cmos sensors of any size would be falling out of the trees.
I guess I'm optimistic, but I'd have thought that there would be more new cameras other than the Leica, which is another one of those cameras that kind of stumps me. It's modern, sleek, but relies on old ccd tech and lenses on the tbd list.
Phase makes a splash, (a very expensive splash) with finally coming out with an lcd to match a $200 phone, (after 10 years of explaining to clients, models and stylists, uh, you need to see it on the computer) though for some reason still can't produce in camera processing that will produce a preview without some issues.
Even Canon and Nikon seem to have slowed the pace at the top end, but maybe that's Canon's fault with the 5d. They've lowered the price of entry, so I guess who wants to spend 8 grand when you can get it for 2, or in the case of the leica who wants to spend $40,000, unless it's a hobby and you have the disposable income to buy pretty stuff. I'd love to see the demographics of the typical S-2 owner. I'd bet it's bentley, Palm Beach, three wall street brokers on speed dial and four country club memberships (you have to have two on both coasts).
Maybe not, maybe it's the guy that just digs cameras and rather than buy a car he buys a leica.
Anyway, I surely didn't think we'd be talking about cameras based around old legacy film tech, but what the heck at this point I'd settle for the jet Pack because LA traffic is hell.
IMO
BC
-
Have any of you heard about problems with the electrical signals in the AFI-camera? Or other technical problems?
Someone told me many users have problems with their AFI´s and that it´s more errors than with other brands.
What experiences do all you users have?
Henrik
I've heard that the tethering cable connection on the Leaf backs has had a lot of failures in the past. One dealer told me it was very common for a while but thought maybe they had fixed it now. That problem is not limited to the AFi backs though.
-
....heck at this point I'd settle for the jet Pack because LA traffic is hell.
:D Yeah no kidding!
and what happpend to that personal moller aircar we've been hearing about for 30 yrs now?
-
I've heard that the tethering cable connection on the Leaf backs has had a lot of failures in the past. One dealer told me it was very common for a while but thought maybe they had fixed it now. That problem is not limited to the AFi backs though.
I guess I've been lucky
since I've used Leaf Aptus 11, Aptus 22, Aptus 75, Aptus 75s, and AFi-10 extensively
and rarely had Firewire cable connection issues.
-
I've heard that the tethering cable connection on the Leaf backs has had a lot of failures in the past. One dealer told me it was very common for a while but thought maybe they had fixed it now. That problem is not limited to the AFi backs though.
I hope that is correct, but I am unsure..
I wonder how it can have been fixed if no new bodies have been made?
If the ones they sell now is still from the original production they most likely
all have the same weekness still...?
Henrik
-
I hope that is correct, but I am unsure..
I wonder how it can have been fixed if no new bodies have been made?
If the ones they sell now is still from the original production they most likely
all have the same weekness still...?
Henrik
The original poster wrote that the issue was with Leaf backs. It had nothing to do with the AFi/Hy6 camera.
-
Sorry, I was a bit quick!
But I have heard that it has been problems with the electrical connectins from the afi/hy6 to the back.
Heard of anyone experiensing this?
-
Yes, that was with the backs where the cable connects from the digital back to the computer and has nothing to do with the camera.
With regard to the camera, there was an update that included some AF sensor parts and firmware that is useful so you'd want to buy one with that - check for firmware 3.10a3 Probably Leaf and Sinar and other distributors have stock of the original bodies somewhere that are older. Its not a problem really as you can send in the body to DHW for the upgrade for what is it 300 euro?, but easier to start with one already updated.
-
Eric,
"Vastly superior" in every way? Really? How do you get your Hy6 to flash sync at 1/1600? How do you shoot anything faster than 1/1000 with a Hy6, since it does not have a focal plane shutter (and many Rollei PQ lenses only go to 1/500)? How do you shoot with an ultrawide 28mm lens, or maybe a Zeiss superachromat telephoto lens, when there are no such lenses for the Hy6?
David
Even your 645DF can reach 1/1600 sec sync and your powerpack can reach <1/1600 sec flash duration at every output, what is the chance that you need 1/1600 sec to darken the ambient light?
As for the ultrawide 28mm lens, what is the chance of using that 28mm lens?Do not forget Hy6 has the Zeiss 30mm lens(maybe that 2mm makes you be different). How about a AFi-12 back on a view camera with 24mm Schneider lens?
If photography is just get wider lens (Canon EOS has 8mm fish eye lens) and faster shutter flash sync speed (Canon G10 can reach 1/4000 sec), how did Helmust Newton, William Klein or Gallen Rowell achieve their photography arts?
Xin