Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: TechTalk on May 25, 2011, 01:03:51 pm

Title: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: TechTalk on May 25, 2011, 01:03:51 pm
For those interested, Hasselblad has announced the release of the H4D-200MS. Details are available in the links below...

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/h4d-200ms.aspx (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/h4d-200ms.aspx)

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx)

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/2658914/uk_h4d_200ms_v1.pdf (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/2658914/uk_h4d_200ms_v1.pdf)

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/ripley--ripley-showcase.aspx (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/ripley--ripley-showcase.aspx)

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/tate-gallery-showcase.aspx (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/tate-gallery-showcase.aspx)

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/jonathan-beer-showcase.aspx (http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/jonathan-beer-showcase.aspx)



Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: fredjeang on May 25, 2011, 01:24:25 pm
Whao!...

I read the specs, this is impressive.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 25, 2011, 01:25:59 pm
Looks awesome!  Any one know if this will be available in the CF mount?  
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: design_freak on May 25, 2011, 02:12:19 pm
Congratulation  :)  it's great camera.
But... Please develope longer viewfinder. Sometimes we want to use this camera without a tripod...
And one more thing :) it isn't an atack. I want to have better equipment ;)
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: JimGoshorn on May 25, 2011, 02:57:28 pm
I saw the announcement and browsed around their site. They list a CF lens adapter for the H4D.

Jim
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: Dustbak on May 25, 2011, 04:29:34 pm
I think Eric means something else with CF, eg. will it be available as a CF50MS or maybe better CF200MS. My reaction would be not to hold your breath waiting for it. I have the impression the CF series is not on the top of their priority list.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 25, 2011, 04:38:37 pm
I guess I'll have to keep looking for the elusive CF-528c
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: Nick-T on May 25, 2011, 04:58:50 pm
Eric what platform are you wanting to put a multi-shot on?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 25, 2011, 05:05:44 pm
Eric what platform are you wanting to put a multi-shot on?

Hi Nick,
I'm shooting with Rollei 6008AF, AFi bodies mostly and also use the X-Act2.   I had previously an ixpress 528c and now use a CFii-39MS.  I like the CFii-39MS fine, but somehow really liked the 528c.
Eric
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: BJNY on May 25, 2011, 07:42:21 pm
4-shot is true color,

but is 6-shot 200mpx still uninterpolated in both color and resolution?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 25, 2011, 08:50:29 pm
Yeah, good question Billy.  From the results shown in the PR material it does look like its getting more detail, but maybe its doing 4 shot mode for color plus 2 half step diagonal moves for resolution?
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: Gigi on May 25, 2011, 10:37:44 pm
Eric -

AFAIK, the CF series (through the Imacon adapter) will work on the 6008 series... but is there an adapter for the AFI?

Geoff
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 25, 2011, 10:57:12 pm
Geoff,
Yes of course the CF backs fit to the 6008AF.  I have the CF-ii 39 MS back fitted on my 6008AF right now.  6 months or so ago I e-mailed with David Grover and was told at that time no plans were in the works to make an adapter for the Hy6/AFi camera body.    Hasselblad only offers certain backs in the CF platform (these are the backs that have interchangeable adapters to fit many different camera bodies).   So far they haven't offered any of the 50mp configurations in the CF style - but one can still hope!

Eric
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: bradleygibson on May 25, 2011, 11:52:06 pm
It would be great to have a 3rd option available for the Hy6 mount.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: EricWHiss on May 26, 2011, 01:27:39 am
It would be great to have a 3rd option available for the Hy6 mount.

Yeah! You aren't kidding and the Rollei platform with leaf shutter's in every lens is perfect for multi-shot work.  I can't think of a better alternative besides the H body.  Hasselblad already supports the X-Act2 with the 200MS now.   
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: Dustbak on May 26, 2011, 01:51:00 am
Eric,

I know how much you love the Rollei (understandably) but do give the H a spin if you get the chance.
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: bradleygibson on May 26, 2011, 10:01:06 am
The H is my second favorite camera platform.  In the H4D, it is very mature and the true focus feature is really incredible.  My problem with the H (which may be a strength to other shooters) is the lens system.

Fuji and Hasselblad haven't really taken the quality of the out-of-focus areas (bokeh) seriously enough, in my opinion. Too often, I have seen rough bokeh from these lenses (unless shot wide open)--but this may not be a significant issue for studio work.  They have optimized the lenses for studio shooting distances (rather than infinity for nature photographers).

But lenses aside, it is a wonderful system, and well thought out.

-Brad
Title: Re: Hasselblad H4D-200MS
Post by: douglasboyd on May 26, 2011, 10:26:58 am
To me it looks like Hasselblad made the right decision a few years back to concentrate on an integrated system.  About 3 years ago I tried the H1-P30 combination and found it lacking compared to A900.  I had to carry about 5 chargers for all the various short-life batteries-- and I had to carry a power strip to plug them all in at the motel.  But recently I acquired a H3DII-39 and wow, what a difference.  These newer H models are now fully integrated and fast and easy to use with a good single battery.  And the price has come down to a feasible range for a casual shooter.  The H3DII's can be bought used for about 10-12K (Thank you P645D!).  The H3D is so good that I can already see the need for the true focus feature of the H4D.  Hopefully in a year or two these will also become affordable.

==Doug