Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: rmyers on May 22, 2011, 11:29:34 pm

Title: Lightroom External Editor Settings Question
Post by: rmyers on May 22, 2011, 11:29:34 pm
On the external editor settings in LR it has a spot for resolution.  I have 240 in that box.  I don't remember if that was default or if I set it. 

What is the best way to use this?  Wouldn't it depend on the file you are working on as to whether that is a down rez or up rez?
Title: Re: Lightroom External Editor Settings Question
Post by: Schewe on May 23, 2011, 12:04:50 am
It really doesn't matter as you can change the dimension/PPI ratio at any time in Photoshop...the only thing to consider is the output resolution you typically use. I set the rez to 360 PPI but will change it based on the final dimensions as needed.
Title: Re: Lightroom External Editor Settings Question
Post by: BradSmith on May 23, 2011, 03:50:02 pm
The preference resolution setting does NOT resample your image upon export.   For example, a 3000 pixel wide image in LR will be a 3000 pixel image in your editing software.   What the resolution determines is how many inches or cm wide your 3000 pixel image will be.   Export it at 300 and you'll have a 10" wide image at 300.   Export it at 200 and you'll have a 15" wide image at 200.  3000 pixels in all cases.
Brad