Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: eronald on May 22, 2011, 07:49:10 pm
-
Hi Guys -
I walked my pocket camera (D3x) through Arches, Utah. The MF kit was ... too heavy for hiking. I now have images that pop, but cannot find a suitable way to print them on my inkjet. I would love to get Cibachrome pop.
Discuss! :)
Edmund
-
What was that old big printer the labs used called Chromira? That could do some great lively colors. Some of the old tech stuff like the Kodak dye sub printers could do interesting things too. All the labs seem to have Lightjets. Maybe with dye based inkjets? Back mounting to acrylic can give your inkjet images pop too.
-
What was that old big printer the labs used called Chromira? That could do some great lively colors. Some of the old tech stuff like the Kodak dye sub printers could do interesting things too. All the labs seem to have Lightjets. Maybe with dye based inkjets? Back mounting to acrylic can give your inkjet images pop too.
Well, the lightjets are old, chromira's are still being made today. Also Noritisu and Durst printers, and these printers are the mainstay of many of the big labs even today. The key is the RA4 papers you can print with them. Many landscape photographers still prefer the pop you can get with Fujiflex and fuji Pearl which are RA4 process photo papers. Shots from arches would probably look fantastic on Kodak Metallic paper (similar to fuji but with a metallic look). All 3 are amazingly smooth and high gloss and despite having smaller gamuts than inkjet paper have amazing rich colors that really pop. We do a lot of Kodak Metallic here at my store, and we're expanding to offer the fuji as well. I think the fuji looks very much like cibachrome (although I admit it's been a long time since I've seen a good ciba print).
-
Ok, but is there anything you know off hat I can stuff down the throat of my Epson to make it scream ?
Edmund
-
Ok, but is there anything you know off hat I can stuff down the throat of my Epson to make it scream ?
Edmund
One or two things come to mind.... :o
What about one of the new Metallics that are being touted as Cibachrome replacements?
-
I've heard the same thing about Pictorico before. However, I tried Hahnemule FbAl for its famous traditional darkroom-like b&w paper finish, but found that for color is great too. It's super resolution and glossy finish made me remember the ciba look. Pictorico's must be a lot closer to the look but last time I checked it was still very expensive. I maybe be misinformed here, but it seems that its archival properties are not so good either.
Eduardo
Pictorico High Gloss is the only inkjet paper I have used that comes close to a Ciba print for Epsons.
-
Pictorico is prob. the closest thing to ciba on inkjet in terms of gloss/surface characteristics. tough to get the same look as ciba with inkjet since once you spray ink on the surface you lose that mirror like gloss that was characteristic of ciba. I haven't tried the new metallic inkjet papers, but similar problem .. ink on top just isn't quite the same.
Problem with Pictorico is longevity ... one of the worst inkjet papers out there.
What about Harman Gloss FB al (which I think is now Harman by hahnemuhle)? Haven't tried it since it changed, but it had some serious gloss and pop, held detail amazingly well, and not much gloss differential for a high gloss paper. It was almost too glossy ... looked very much like a ferrotype finish.
-
You could just get a Cibachrome:
http://www.hancepartners.com/
Ilford Smooth High Gloss is similar to Pictorico, but limited to 8.5x11 last time I checked.
I tried a number of papers in search of a Cibachrome equivalent, never really found one. Ink sitting on the surface doesn't give the appearance of depth Cibachrome has.
I did try printing on Pictorico transparency film and mounting on a matte paper - gave an illusion of depth. I'm happy with Gold Silk now, but nothing like a good Cibachrome print.
-
There is some kind of magical mystery in the embedded image opposite to the one on top.
You could just get a Cibachrome:
http://www.hancepartners.com/
Ilford Smooth High Gloss is similar to Pictorico, but limited to 8.5x11 last time I checked.
I tried a number of papers in search of a Cibachrome equivalent, never really found one. Ink sitting on the surface doesn't give the appearance of depth Cibachrome has.
I did try printing on Pictorico transparency film and mounting on a matte paper - gave an illusion of depth. I'm happy with Gold Silk now, but nothing like a good Cibachrome print.
-
If your passionate about the digital cibachrome concept, I can also vouch for hance partners. I've seen a few prints that a friend made from them. Amazing prints at an Amazing price.
M>
-
I used to print on Pictorico High Gloss film all the time to get a Ciba-like look. It looks good but not quite the same, and the paper scratches rather easy.
I've also tried the Ilford Smooth High Gloss, which I've compared to the Pictorico, and it looks just as good if not better. It's also less expensive.
Ilford Smooth High Gloss is similar to Pictorico, but limited to 8.5x11 last time I checked.
I tried a number of papers in search of a Cibachrome equivalent, never really found one. Ink sitting on the surface doesn't give the appearance of depth Cibachrome has.
I did try printing on Pictorico transparency film and mounting on a matte paper - gave an illusion of depth. I'm happy with Gold Silk now, but nothing like a good Cibachrome print.
-
lamination?
Edmund
There is some kind of magical mystery in the embedded image opposite to the one on top.
-
Yeah! -I've thought about it. But the only lamination I've seen it's been to get rid of reflections by skipping the glass. The finishes vary. I've seen some truly horrible finishes and one or two really appealing. But certainly no Ciba look. I have in my office 3 b&w pictures printed on FbAl. They are mounted with normal glass. The lighting is by direct dichroic. in many instances I can see the sheen of the paper reflecting back through the glass. It doesn't bother me though. This means that glass just adds another reflective surface. On the opposite, lamination in every case (I think) cancels the reflective quality of the paper. If some company could come with a lamination material like Mylar, I'd like to see it.
Eduardo
lamination?
Edmund
-
Diasec. Looks great. But it is expensive...
http://www.grieger-online.de/en/products/image-presentation/diasecr/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diasec
-
Hi,
Here is a link that says Pictorico HiGloss White Film is rated at 100 years with Epson inks http://pict02.securesites.net/head_wilhelm.php
Does anyone know where I can get a profile for this paper for my Canon 8100?
Mike
-
Hi,
Here is a link that says Pictorico HiGloss White Film is rated at 100 years with Epson inks http://pict02.securesites.net/head_wilhelm.php
Does anyone know where I can get a profile for this paper for my Canon 8100?
Mike
If you send me a printed target I will be delighted to run a profile for you. Price of admission: 1 packet of paper :)
email me (edmundronald at gmail dot com) for target files and shipping details.
Edmund