Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: neile on May 19, 2011, 10:13:59 pm

Title: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 19, 2011, 10:13:59 pm
And by close-up I mean REALLY close-up:

(http://www.danecreekfolios.com/resource/Windows-Live-Writer-An-Inkjet-Print-As-Seen-Through-a-Scanni_1070B-?fileId=12306702)

Want to know more? Check out the blog entry (http://www.danecreekfolios.com/blog/2011/5/19/an-inkjet-print-as-seen-through-a-scanning-electron-microsco.html) :)

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: mikev1 on May 19, 2011, 10:16:19 pm
Very cool.  You should make a print of that!
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 19, 2011, 10:19:53 pm
That would be so self-referential it would blow my mind :) Especially if I then went and scanned the print of the scan...

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Colorwave on May 19, 2011, 10:21:20 pm
Antibiotics ought to clear that up within a week.

What are we looking at?  Is this straight down on a print or an oblique view?  Is all or some of it ink?
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 19, 2011, 10:24:47 pm
The blog entry has all the details, plus additional photos and element analysis :) There's a lot of detail in the blog so I'd prefer not to have to re-type it all here. It is a top-down view though!

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: bill t. on May 19, 2011, 11:36:35 pm
This takes pixel-peeping to a whole new level!
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 19, 2011, 11:56:16 pm
This takes pixel-peeping to a whole new level!
+1!

But fascinating.
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 20, 2011, 12:07:58 am
This takes pixel-peeping to a whole new level!

Yeah, I'm really disappointed with the quality of the 8300 now. Those drops of are clearly not tack-sharp. Grrrrrr.

:D

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Justan on May 20, 2011, 12:30:53 am
I read the blog. It is very interesting that most of the ink drops are circular, and only a few are oblong. This implies that the majority of ink it is laid down vertically, without any sign of spatter or motion imparted onto the ink drops. Given how quickly the print heads move, it says a lot about the precision of the delivery technology and also the paper to absorb it uniformly.
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Sven W on May 20, 2011, 03:44:19 am
Neil,
Very interesting and amusing.

Is it true that the SEM only produce monochromes?
And that SEM color images are actually "hand" colorized?

/Sven
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Rhossydd on May 20, 2011, 04:35:53 am
Fascinating work.

I guess it asks as many questions as it answers though. It would be interesting to see other shots of different tones from other printers, papers and inks.

Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on May 20, 2011, 04:55:37 am
Fantastic. Very interesting. Thanks for that.
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 20, 2011, 10:19:43 am
Is it true that the SEM only produce monochromes?
And that SEM color images are actually "hand" colorized?

I'm not sure, actually. I'll ask Dee. I'm pretty sure they're hand colorized.

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: neile on May 20, 2011, 10:20:15 am
I guess it asks as many questions as it answers though. It would be interesting to see other shots of different tones from other printers, papers and inks.

Yes :) I'm kicking myself for not bringing printed letters on inkjet paper in a variety of colours. Doh!

Neil
Title: Re: A close-up look at one of my prints
Post by: narikin on May 20, 2011, 05:09:34 pm
In a similar vein, you might find this interesting:

http://mackbooks.co.uk/pages/films/

(click on book to page through)