Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on May 19, 2011, 11:01:20 am
-
Finally got my roll of Epson, Cold Press Natural paper in for my 4900.
I've been reading up on out-gassing and de-curling the print afterwards. Right off the bat I have one print to be framed and another that's going to be shipped (probably rolled in a tube). Any suggestions, tips, caveats I should know about?
-
back roll it (print side in). Maybe it won't take too much "set" when it is taken out of the tube.
John Nollendorfs
-
Hi Mike, its Dano from Epson.
Most would say outgassing is not necessary with Cotton Fiber papers like Cold Press Natural.
I've seen lots of framed prints through the years and have never witnessed ghosting from prints produced on Cotton Fiber papers.
One person I know did experience ghosting from a cotton fiber paper, but that print was framed in less than 5 minutes from exiting the printer in a parking lot under the summer sun in Southern California e.g. extreme conditions.
It doesn't hurt to outgass a Cotton Fiber paper but it does take time.
Without question a Microporous paper "Photo Type" "RC" requires an outgassing procedure before framing.
I'd be curious to learn if anyone has seen outgassing from Cotton Fiber papers in typical conditions.
Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.
-
I doubt that outgassing is a problem for matte papers as the ink and carriers are more readily absorbed into the coating and paper. It does become a problem with the glossy papers where this is not the case and the solvents (primarily glycols/glycerols) have nowhere to go other than to evaporate. There was a discussion on this forum last year that you can find here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=47191.0). Regarding shipping in tubes, put a cover sheet over the printed surface to minimize scuffing of the print when it is rolled.
-
actually what is outgassing? like what kind of effect will i see?
thanks
aaron
-
actually what is outgassing? like what kind of effect will i see?
thanks
aaron
It is the evaporation of the organic solvent carriers from the paper. The only time you will see it is if you frame an insufficiently dried print behind glass/plexi. The solvents will continue to evaporate but now have nowhere to go and will end up as a filmy deposit on the inside of the glass/plexi. Allowing the print to dry for 24/48 hours pretty much eliminates this and as I noted above it's prominent with non-matte papers (some are worse than others).
-
Thanks guys... much appreciated.
My colour is a little off - calibrated monitor and using the Epson paper profiles - but I actually liked this first print better than what the colour was on my monitor. I know that's not always going to happen so I'll have to work on that part of it.
-
I wouldn't just roll the bare print and put I in a tube. Matte papers are prone to scuffing and flaking if not handled carefully. I'd roll it win a sheet of glassine on top.
There is a good article on this site on packaging prints for shipping.