Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Light Seeker on May 14, 2011, 04:29:00 pm

Title: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: Light Seeker on May 14, 2011, 04:29:00 pm
I've had a chance to make some prints on aluminum, and I find them rather "muted". If I lay my metal print next to the same image on paper it looks a bit "dull". I'm assuming this has to do with the lack of a bright white base, which the paper has. When I compare soft proofs, aluminum to paper, I see the same difference on my screen. Is this consistent with what the rest of you see?

I picked up some nice aluminum sheets from an engraver, the kind coated for dye sublimation with the protective cover. I coated the metal (2 coats) with Golden Digital Grounds for Non-Porous Surfaces. There was a day of dry time between each coat. I used the Booksmart profile for my 3800, which has Epson inks. However, I have yet to spray a protective coating on the print.

I will say that under a bright light they can look pretty cool. One image in particular, a thistle with purple at the centre surrounded by green pointy leaves (leaves have a purple border), looks almost 3D under a light positioned at the correct angle. The green leaves literally glow and pop out. However, under normal light it doesn't look particularly spectacular.

I will also say that the b/w print I tried looks the best to me so far, at least in general terms.

Terry.
Title: Re: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on May 14, 2011, 05:01:16 pm
White reflection of a metallic inkjet paper is already L 10 less than a normal satin white RC paper.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Title: Re: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: Light Seeker on May 14, 2011, 05:54:53 pm
That's quite a difference, Ernst. It explains a lot. I have the Horizons sample pack, and it will be really interesting to see how images look on the white sheet.

Thanks - Terry.
Title: Re: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: Damir on May 14, 2011, 06:50:20 pm
Metallic inkjet paper looks also muted to me, but print on direct aluminium is much more reflective than any paper.

Maybe it is beacuse of the protective coating that you have on your aluminium. I did coating directly on clean aluminium with InkAid.

In good lighting it looks like you watch the picture on monitor - lights come out from picture.

Title: Re: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: neile on May 14, 2011, 07:14:16 pm
Yes, when they aren't in direct light I find they look more muted as well. Except for the Horizon White stuff, which honestly just looks like a print on paper. You don't get any of the metallic shine through which is what makes the aluminum interesting to print on.

Neil
Title: Re: Aluminum prints seem "muted" - is this normal?
Post by: Light Seeker on May 14, 2011, 07:28:47 pm
That's what I had thought. These must be displayed with good lighting. My son suggested something creative like a string of small LED lights inside a float frame.  :o

Thanks.

Terry.