Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: design_freak on May 14, 2011, 12:14:04 pm

Title: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: design_freak on May 14, 2011, 12:14:04 pm
All H4D cameras are built around a solid stainless steel body - now we've decided to let their inner beauty shine through.
The H4D-50 Royal Edition (like all H4D cameras) was designed to meet the needs of the most demanding high-end commercial photographers. Photographers who have but one thing in common - a desire to take their photography to the next level, to set themselves apart from the crowd. And now, with the H4D-50 Royal Edition, it's not just your images that stand out. Now your camera can as well.
A limited production run of 100 unique cameras that are a shining example of things to come.
Limited edition, limited time

Price 50 000 Euros
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Arminw on May 14, 2011, 12:16:37 pm
Oh no please let this be a joke .
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: DeeJay on May 14, 2011, 12:45:48 pm
Well those Gold plated Blads have always been around. And while it's certainly not for me, I can't help but think they could make something really cool with a dull silver one that is just polished stainless steel.

Please do that Hasselblad.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: feppe on May 14, 2011, 02:40:29 pm
Finally a camera that will be worthy to "forget" on the seat of my Maybach at the country club.

The question remains, though: will it blend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU)?
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 14, 2011, 03:10:47 pm

A limited production run of 100 unique cameras that are a shining example of things to come.
Limited edition, limited time

Price 50 000 Euros
The word "unique" means that there is only one of them.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: John R Smith on May 14, 2011, 03:30:15 pm
The word "unique" means that there is only one of them.

Well, it isn't just Hasselblad that mangles the English language  ;) Just about everybody else is at it, too. Are you ready to "transition" to MF digital?

Nice comment, though, Dick.

John
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: amsp on May 14, 2011, 03:30:26 pm
For the love of god, make a black one already.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 14, 2011, 03:55:24 pm
I'm not buying it unless it comes with matching tea cups!
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Rob C on May 14, 2011, 04:37:04 pm
I'm not buying it unless it comes with matching tea cups!



Mugs come to mind...


;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: DennisWilliams on May 14, 2011, 05:09:51 pm
I will continue to prefer the less exclusive Ferrari variation which matches my red Blaupunkt  car audio.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: bradleygibson on May 14, 2011, 05:14:37 pm
For the love of god, make a black one already.

LOL!  +1.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 14, 2011, 07:55:27 pm
The word "unique" means that there is only one of them.

Words tend to have broader meanings, so, according to a dictionary:

• being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: original and unique designs
• particularly remarkable, special, or unusual

In this case, I would say it was used in its second meaning. It is the design that is unique (i.e., special, unusual, among other cameras/designs), not the camera itself. Note that the dictionary's own example uses a plural for "design"... if "unique" would only mean "the only one of its kind", than the only proper combination would be "unique design", not "unique designs"

Slobodan

Your partner in hair-splitting  ;)
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Anders_HK on May 14, 2011, 09:18:35 pm
What can one say, except...

... it looks dam* ugly.

Regards
Anders

P.S. If Hassy had sense they would invest in a modern version of the V series for legacy German glass, made where it originated in Goterborg, my hometown :)
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: mediumcool on May 14, 2011, 11:14:37 pm
The word "unique" means that there is only one of them.

And I love it [not] when folk modify unique with “very” or “almost … ”  >:(
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: ctz on May 15, 2011, 03:53:18 am
 ;D

@mediumcool:
Well said!
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Rob C on May 15, 2011, 04:07:43 am
What can one say, except...

... it looks dam* ugly.

Regards
Anders

P.S. If Hassy had sense they would invest in a modern version of the V series for legacy German glass, made where it originated in Goterborg, my hometown :)


I wonder... if you sell your V bodies I would assume you get rid of the lenses at the same time, I certainly did. Unfortunately. However, buying back into a dead system isn't the brightest move, in my view.

;- (

Rob C
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: mediumcool on May 15, 2011, 05:37:29 am
I will continue to prefer the less exclusive Ferrari variation which matches my red Blaupunkt  car audio.

Does it have a blue dot on a red background? That would be eye-piercingly different!  ;)
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Anders_HK on May 15, 2011, 07:41:38 am

I wonder... if you sell your V bodies I would assume you get rid of the lenses at the same time, I certainly did. Unfortunately. However, buying back into a dead system isn't the brightest move, in my view.

;- (

Rob C

Rob, I only have one Hassy lens which I will sell soon, never had V bodies. Was tempted... but realized that Hy6 is the modern version  ;D
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: paulmoorestudio on May 15, 2011, 08:29:26 am
what is the matter with you guys?  this just screams "sheik"!!
...I would be embarrassed if I was the head product developer for hassy.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: mediumcool on May 15, 2011, 08:48:23 am
what is the matter with you guys?  this just screams "sheik"!!
...I would be embarrassed if I was the head product developer for hassy.

Sheik Yerbouty (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSheik_Yerbouti&ei=28rPTZLyJYy3rAfs7rDCCg&usg=AFQjCNFYOoclpmJmaegoqDW3-4cvU0FQvA)?

 ;)
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: donaldt on May 15, 2011, 08:50:43 am
For the love of god, make a black one already.

Exactly LOL
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: michael on May 15, 2011, 09:33:18 am
I sniggered as well when I saw the "Royal Edition" Hasselblad.

But I remember when at a Photokina some years ago I snidely commented to an executive of a major European camera company that I was appalled by products such as their Bethoven Memorial Edition Model 6 covered in Reticulated Ostrich Testicle Leather.

He smiled knowingly and said that he agreed that these were silly products from a photographic perspective, but that they were huge money makers for the company. Every time they did one they sold out, usually prior to production.

It seems that the market in Asia, especially China, with its millions of neauvo riche, snapped these up, and the more bling the better. A $5,000 product could have $200 worth of cosmetic enhancements, put in a fancy box,  and then be sold for $10,000. The margins are stupendous. Another industry wag who was in on the conversation said that he doubted that these cameras were ever actually used. Instead they'd be worn over the shoulder once at a cocktail party, and then displayed in a locked cabinet in one's study. Take it out and shoot pictures? Never – that would reduced it's "value".

So when you see a company selling these baubles just remember that it's putting lots of dough to the bottom line, and hopefully financing their ability to continue to produce products which actual photographers can use to create images.

Michael


Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: jduncan on May 15, 2011, 02:49:30 pm

The question remains, though: will it blend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU)?

Um good, question. I don't know, my Ferrari did blend, or so say the guy. The point is; I never got it back so, I am sure It did blend, could not be any other way.

:)
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Alan W George on May 15, 2011, 10:00:01 pm
Wow!  That's spectacularly stupid.  Me thinks the damage to the credibility would not be worth selling 100 cameras, but WTF do I know.  IMO, their marketing department needs a loooooong vacation.  God help em when P1 comes out with a real camera.  My intuition tells me there will never be a "Royal Edition".
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: LKaven on May 15, 2011, 10:09:01 pm
I wonder whether you can ever get the scent of urine out of ostrich scrotum, reticulated or otherwise?
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on May 16, 2011, 03:29:30 am
Seriously guys,

This is not a product and not sure of the motivation of the OP
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: stewarthemley on May 16, 2011, 03:54:46 am
Seriously guys,

This is not a product and not sure of the motivation of the OP

Maybe there's a clue here somewhere - "Design FREAK" ?

Edit: And I want to add how impressed I was with Michael's real-world comment. For a guy who is often accused of "hating Hass" he showed a lot of understanding, and hinted that competition is almost essential these days. Imagine if only Phase produced MFDBs? As good as they are, that would not be a healthy situation IMHO. And yes, I know it's not a real product - but maybe it should be?
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: mediumcool on May 16, 2011, 04:24:11 am
Imagine if only Phase produced MFDBs? As good as they are, that would not be a healthy situation IMHO. And yes, I know it's not a real product - but maybe it should be?

Thought experiment: what if Bill Gates had made a quick buck by selling MS-DOS to IBM (and retired) instead of renting it instead so as to earn squillions? Or what if Apple had licenced Mac OS earlier?

If there was no Apple, where would Bill have got his ideas for Windows?

If there was no Microsoft, we might all be using System 7.9.9.9.9.4 with co-operative multi-tasking (but what a lovely interface!). And a hefty price.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Rob C on May 16, 2011, 04:40:47 am
Sheik Yerbouty (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSheik_Yerbouti&ei=28rPTZLyJYy3rAfs7rDCCg&usg=AFQjCNFYOoclpmJmaegoqDW3-4cvU0FQvA)?

 ;)




I have actually seen a yacht called Camera Sheik. Thought that rather clever at the time.

Rob C
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on May 16, 2011, 05:12:14 am
If I was given that camera I would sort it out with a roll of black gaffer tape.
Title: Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
Post by: design_freak on May 16, 2011, 05:18:04 am
Unfortunately, this "something " was created by the Hasselblad factory. David you have to look at your marketing materials ...
 Announced that the Photokina trade fair will be presented with a new camera. We expected a revolution, showing the red camera ...
 Now it's gold "something" might easily be a new camera. On the occasion of the wedding in the UK ...
Sorry about the provocation, but I do not like the marketing pap that now pours from this legendary brand. I understand the difficult market situation, but some companies should not make such a desperate move. If someone were to head on his shoulders, for example, released by the last series of x-pan camera made ​​of titanium ... I am convinced that it would meet with the respect throughout the industry and users. More importantly, it would be a nice item, which we would not be ashamed.
Michael confirmed his great class. He showed that not only has great knowledge, life experience but also a man with a huge distance to the world.