Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Josh-H on May 13, 2011, 09:13:53 am

Title: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: Josh-H on May 13, 2011, 09:13:53 am
I have been busy making prints for APPA over the last couple of weeks; and in doing so was reviewing some files from Iceland last year. This photograph taken near the Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon on the nearby black sand beaches jumped out at me (nearly a year after I was there). I just totally missed that the ice actually looks like a Dolphin! I am sure my subconscious was aware of it at the time, but I failed to make the connection when I got home and its sat unprocessed until now. Its very much a straight photograph with only very minimal post processing corrections. From memory I used a 2 stop Hard Grad.

Comments and thoughts welcome as always.
Title: Re: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on May 13, 2011, 10:28:09 am
This is funny!
First, when I read the title I thought:
"Didn't know he was shooting animals too..."
then
"I know there exist Ice Sharks, but Ice Dolphins?"
And now - a funny surprise and a great image !
Thanks !
Title: Re: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 13, 2011, 11:19:22 am
It's always good to go back later and see what you missed on the first go round.

Very nice ice dolphin!

Eric
Title: Re: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: wolfnowl on May 13, 2011, 02:34:13 pm
Well seen!  I keep vacillating though on whether the head is on the right and the dolphin is coming out and up, or whether the head is on the left and it's diving.  Could go either way...

Mike.
Title: Re: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: degrub on May 13, 2011, 04:36:24 pm
on first look, i thought there was a fur seal looking out of the ice at the camera.
Fun  :)
Title: Re: Iceland #17 - Ice Dolphin
Post by: francois on May 16, 2011, 02:57:24 am
Lovely! Swarovski designed…