Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Eric Kellerman on May 13, 2011, 05:57:55 am
-
I do not use Capture One software and am a long-time user of iView/Expression Media. After playing with a trial version of Phase One's just-released incarnation of this program, Media Pro, I cannot see any difference from the previous version other than a superficially redesigned interface. Yet an upgrade costs €39 (about $56).
Am I missing something?
-
The real differences are :
- Increased the limit on numbers of images in a single catalogue from 128000 - good!
- Removed the 2Gb limit on the size of a single catalogue file - finally!
- Better writing of xmp sidecars - makes easier communication with other sidecar-aware programs like CaptureOne - but failed to fix the problems caused by overwriting sidecars rather than updating them (such as nuking any Adobe Camera Raw settings)
- Dropped the Virtual Earth geotagging - about the one good thing Microsoft did with the program (apart from eventually selling it)
John
-
What I noticed. apart from a different front end.. it is much slower with importing your images!
Expression media launches 8 importers that work simultaneously. ( depending on how many processors your computer has - mine has eight)
Media pro uses only two importers at a time.
I am on a mac and you can see the difference when you open the Activity Monitor.