I'll let X-Rite know, though based on what I've read and seen, they're not exactly zippy in releasing fixes to their products. I always love the "it's your computer" explanation. For what it's worth, I'm running a Mac with OS 10.6.6. Don't know if it appears on the windows side or not.
I believe this behavior is as intended (through X-Rite Services).
On Windows, at least, the iSis light only blinks while i1Profiler is running. The X-Rite Device Services Manager (xrdd.sys) is always running. While we were testing i1Profiler, we found that sticking a chart in the iSis prior to clicking the "Measure" button in i1Profiler sometimes caused the confusion. Nothing happened until the next attempt at reading a chart. Then, i1Profiler gave a device error instead of measuring the chart. Recovering took either exiting and relaunching i1Profiler or switching away from the Measure panel, reloading the chart definition, power cycling the iSis, and beginning measurements anew.
If this behavior is indeed intended, the intentions are at best insane - further slowing an already painful workflow is no help - or, at worst, an attempt to burn out iSis lamps sooner. I'll give X-Rite the benefit of the doubt and ascribe it to simple lack of debugging.
And, to answer the next question, i1Profiler did not detect misalignment or measurement problems on any of the misread charts.
The lack of error checking i1P is substantial. It really needs to be looked at and addressed in the next release.There are two problem. One is that the data are not using the new XRGA standard. i1Profiler complains about loss of accuracy in this case. The other is that you can not feed the measurement results into the OBC module - only combined data sets are supported with the new mxf format.
I still prefer using MeasureTool. Often I’m measuring and building profiles at the same time.
Speaking of an odd disconnect, can anyone answer this question (and yes, I emailed X-Rite but haven’t heard back):There is no way of choosing which data set is used when measuring in i1Profiler. Based on our limited experimenting, when a combined mxf format) file is saved, the No Cut (M0) data are used. This became apparent when profiles for papers with high levels of brighteners came out with the same yellow cast to the highlight areas that Monaco Profiler produced. Feeding the same measurements into ProfileMaker triggered the software-based optical brightener compensation algorithms, giving nicely neutral highlights.
When using an iSis in i1P, setting measurements for UV Cut and Non Cut (M0/M2), I save the data. But which is used to build the profile? There’s no indication I can see that one or the other is used once you move from the measurement workflow to the profile creation workflow. Can I select if Cut vs. No cut is used?
What am I missing?
At least using MeasureTool, I save both measurements out as CGATs and can load the one I want to use in i1P. What i1P is actually doing is a complete mystery to me.
There are two problem. One is that the data are not using the new XRGA standard.
The other is that you can not feed the measurement results into the OBC module - only combined data sets are supported with the new mxf format.
There is no way of choosing which data set is used when measuring in i1Profiler. Based on our limited experimenting, when a combined mxf format) file is saved, the No Cut (M0) data are used.
My understanding is one needs a Rev E for this anyway. Is there anyway to check this in the saved text file as I have a Rev E and older Rev C data.Our iSis spectros are Rev C. Making measurements from i1Profiler converts the data to XRGA. You can check in the saved CGATS file from i1Profiler. In the header there will be the following lines:
There’s still the old standalone app, that should work right?No clue. It required such a constrained, linear workflow that I have not tried it in a long time. The results also were usually no better than and often worse than using our software-based algorithms for OBA detection and compensation.
> There is no way of choosing which data set is used when measuring in i1Profiler. Based on our limited experimenting, when a combined mxf format file is saved, the No Cut (M0) data are used.Thinking? We don't need no stinking thinking!
That seems silly. What are they thinking?
Our iSis spectros are Rev C. Making measurements from i1Profiler converts the data to XRGA. You can check in the saved CGATS file from i1Profiler.
Yes, I’ve seen that in the text files with both units but none the less, I’m not positive the Rev C is doing anything. I know for a fact there’s a difference in measurements between a Rev C and E! I was told this was updated in the E for XRGA. Something to keep in mind if you are working with multiple units of different Rev’s and expecting to correlate the data.My suspicion is that the Rev E reports data using the XRGA spec while the Rev C reports in the older spec. I base this on the difference in measurements between using i1Profiler and MeasureTool or ProfileMaker. MT and PMP give one set of values, i1Profiler another.