Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on May 10, 2011, 11:04:17 am

Title: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: RSL on May 10, 2011, 11:04:17 am
Since it was shot at ISO 6400 this one has a bit of a problem with noise, though Nik's Dfine helps.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Patricia Sheley on May 10, 2011, 11:22:14 am
No Name Key ?
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: walter.sk on May 10, 2011, 11:22:59 am
Nice shot!  Catching the people interacting and involved, in this natural scene, is much more real than those mis-en-scene images that have been so popular.  The lighting and exposure are good, especially when considering the inside-outside contrast.

I have done my share of restaurant shots, and if I can locate one that I particularly like I'll post it here.


By the way, the resemblance of the man to old pictures of James Dean is quite high.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: seamus finn on May 10, 2011, 11:36:59 am


A winner, Russ, right on the money.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Rob C on May 10, 2011, 11:48:29 am
No wonder there are so many people breaking in across the borders; that image proves that the walls, if not the streets, are paved with gold. A curious custom; does it bear a trace memory of the European tradition prevalent some years ago where destitute artists would pay for meals by sticking canvases up on the restaurant walls in lieu of cash payment? Many a French establishment has weathered war and financial storm by hanging (no pun etc.) on to its Impressionists...

Rob C 
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 10, 2011, 02:21:52 pm
Since it was shot at ISO 6400 this one has a bit of a problem with noise, though Nik's Dfine helps.
I like natural light, and this is one reason I have just bought a GH2 and GF2, but I also like MF, so I have 4 Metz flashes I could use in this type of situation... I am also getting the adapter to let me use the Metzs with the Gh2!
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: walter.sk on May 10, 2011, 03:26:39 pm
Aha!  Found the one I remembered.  I was watching the 42nd street security guy when a waitress went up to the window and gazed out.  I think my camera strap got marinara sauce on it when I shot, but it was worth it.

(http://)
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Rob C on May 10, 2011, 03:56:11 pm
I like natural light, and this is one reason I have just bought a GH2 and GF2, but I also like MF, so I have 4 Metz flashes I could use in this type of situation... I am also getting the adapter to let me use the Metzs with the Gh2!


But Dick, how could you set up four strobes and expect to catch anything that's real?

Rob C
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 10, 2011, 05:29:44 pm

But Dick, how could you set up four strobes and expect to catch anything that's real?

Rob C
I do appreciate that "street" photograph is about spontaneity... and a Hi-ISO large aperture camera is a good tool for that... but if you hand-hold one flash, have one round your neck (or under the camera) and you positioned the other two to light the background in advance...

One flash is, sometimes, adequate,,, but it would be better if they put a hot shoe on the bottom of the camera for low fill. (I sometimes resort to holding the camera upside-down!)
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: RSL on May 10, 2011, 05:42:16 pm
Dick, There are three problems with using flash in street photography: (1) You destroy the ambient light, which completely changes the scene you saw in your viewfinder. (2) It annoys the hell out of the subject(s). (3) It alerts everyone within visual distance that you're shooting pictures. Once they know that, one of two things happens: they chase you with baseball bats or, worse, they pose for you. Once they start posing the game's over.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: popnfresh on May 10, 2011, 05:56:56 pm
It's an interesting snippet of middle American life and I find myself wondering where this was taken. I count three American flags, plus what looks like a picture of an American GI with angel's wings holding a rifle on the wall next to an army recruiting poster--that's something you don't see every day. And of course there's all those dollars. That's a clue that this restaurant is nowhere near me. Those greenbacks would be gone before they were tacked up, practically. I'm guessing that the restaurant is near an Army base and frequented by military families. Or maybe it's actually on an Army base. The bare pine framing seen through the window looks like Army base architecture to me.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: ckimmerle on May 10, 2011, 06:04:30 pm
... but if you hand-hold one flash, have one round your neck (or under the camera) and you positioned the other two to light the background in advance...

In advance of what? I personally don't do street photography, but was a photojournalist for almost 20-years and can tell you from experience that anything can happen anywhere, in any direction. Regardless of the appropriateness of artificial light, it is simply not possible to "plan" lighting for random and spontaneous events. However, if you do have that gift, I'd gladly appreciate the winning numbers for next weeks lottery ;D

Predictions aside, Russ is absolutely correct about the negative issues with using artificial lights in such situations. I once heard a street photographer compare himself to a spy. He's only effective if nobody knows he exists.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: RSL on May 10, 2011, 09:39:04 pm
It's an interesting snippet of middle American life and I find myself wondering where this was taken. I count three American flags, plus what looks like a picture of an American GI with angel's wings holding a rifle on the wall next to an army recruiting poster--that's something you don't see every day. And of course there's all those dollars. That's a clue that this restaurant is nowhere near me. Those greenbacks would be gone before they were tacked up, practically. I'm guessing that the restaurant is near an Army base and frequented by military families. Or maybe it's actually on an Army base. The bare pine framing seen through the window looks like Army base architecture to me.

Pop, I shot the picture in the little town of Jefferson, Texas, on the way home from Florida to Colorado. I was surprised that the feds hadn't gotten on their case about the mutilation of some of those dollar bills, but I'd guess an agent would be leery of spoiling the fun. Never did find out why all those bills were on the walls -- all around a large room. Here are a couple more from the same town. One's an abandoned antique store. The other's an absolutely fabulous hardware store with loads of real old-timey stuff plus a candy and fast food bar. I hated to leave Jefferson, but we had to push on. I may go back and do an overnight there sometime.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: degrub on May 10, 2011, 11:56:41 pm
Here's the story on the dollar bills -

"The walls of this humble eatery on the edge of Jefferson’s historic downtown are papered with dollar bills left by previous patrons. such Gimmicks are commonly used to deflect attention from so-so food. But this beauty of a burger has all the right stuff: a pillow-soft bun toasted on the inside, a tomato slice that nearly rivals the bread in diameter, four pickles placed just so, a judicious separation of mayo and mustard, and an asymmetric patty bearing the savory splotches of a greasy, flavor-enhancing griddle. Turns out there’s an endearing story behind that expensive wallpaper: In 2005, after the owners served up more than two thousand free meals to Katrina evacuees, grateful visitors started leaving the bills as a love offering.
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2009-08-01/feature-3.php
"
Like all small towns there is some interesting history to be had -

http://www.asup-inc.org/jefferson.htm

Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: popnfresh on May 11, 2011, 02:27:55 am
Jefferson looks like a fascinating town. That hardware store is amazing. I might have to go there myself.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 11, 2011, 02:48:47 am
Dick, There are three problems with using flash in street photography: (1) You destroy the ambient light, which completely changes the scene you saw in your viewfinder.
Yes, I know, I bought the GH2 and GHF2 largely to use with natural light, but you can use flash to supplement rather than destroy ambient.
Quote
(2) It annoys the hell out of the subject(s).
Usually, yes...
Quote
(3) It alerts everyone within visual distance that you're shooting pictures. Once they know that, one of two things happens: they chase you with baseball bats or, worse, they pose for you. Once they start posing the game's over.
Sometimes you have to get it right first time.

I did not buy the kit for candid street photography and intend to use the technique for seated diners at wedding receptions where flash photography is acceptable.

I am thinking about doing a calender for the town, featuring the local businesses and their waitresses, barmaids, shop assistants.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: stamper on May 11, 2011, 05:31:26 am
How did you get James Dean to pose for you?  ;) To my knowledge he hasn't been photographed for about fifty years? This is obviously an American restaurant because of the smoking illusion. This is one thing I enjoy in Scotland. No smoking in a restaurant or anywhere indoors. An nice image that the owners might be interested in to hang on their walls? :)
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: degrub on May 11, 2011, 08:06:35 am
look closer it is a cardboard poster.
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: stamper on May 11, 2011, 08:09:21 am
look closer it is a cardboard poster.

You obviously don't understand the smilies? :) wink wink
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Rob C on May 11, 2011, 03:33:53 pm
Stamper - then you'd love Spain: they banned smoking in bars and restaurants despite the local mirror reaction of the UK owners who predicted doom and gloom if the stinking weed were banned.

It's quite funny to see grown men scurry outside and have a puff; how bloody pathetic. My favourite lunch place has never been more crowded so early and the food even tastes better without the added garnish of foul air. If it saves even one kid from catching the habit it'll have been worth it, but I'm afraid that it won't do it: boys think it makes them look macho and girls think it's cool. More young women seem to smoke here than do the men. Clearly, there's nobody better able to condemn the habit than one who has long chucked it.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: Rob C on May 11, 2011, 04:21:54 pm
In advance of what? I personally don't do street photography, but was a photojournalist for almost 20-years and can tell you from experience that anything can happen anywhere, in any direction. Regardless of the appropriateness of artificial light, it is simply not possible to "plan" lighting for random and spontaneous events. However, if you do have that gift, I'd gladly appreciate the winning numbers for next weeks lottery ;D

Predictions aside, Russ is absolutely correct about the negative issues with using artificial lights in such situations. I once heard a street photographer compare himself to a spy. He's only effective if nobody knows he exists.


That's why I took to hanging around the local bar that does the jazz stuff; after three hours of gigging those guys didn't care if I was there or not, and over the next few gigs I became part of the chat and have even built up some casual friendships that, in a small town, have already opened my eyes to the subterranean interconnections here. Though I can be seen I am still invisible in the best possible way for a snapper. Maybe the fact that this is a tourist town helps one become assimilated fairly quickly ... may be far more difficut in a rural spot. On the other hand, none of those guys uses a trombone.

(Also, I now wonder how anything got done prior to the concept of the website. Wish I'd met Fred sooner!)

Rob C
Title: Re: Resturant Photography (Street photography sitting down)
Post by: degrub on May 11, 2011, 09:31:11 pm
You obviously don't understand the smilies? :) wink wink

yeah, i didn't have my glasses on for that reply....