Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Riaan van Wyk on May 03, 2011, 03:12:39 pm

Title: Portrait
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on May 03, 2011, 03:12:39 pm
Your thoughts on this please? 
Title: Re: Portrait
Post by: popnfresh on May 04, 2011, 01:26:48 pm
The light is too hard and doesn't beautify her. It accentuates every pore on her face and the cleft on her chin and it puts some glare on her skin. Also, there's practically no detail in her dark shirt. Finally, I'm not crazy about the expression on her face. She looks like she'd rather be somewhere else.
Title: Re: Portrait
Post by: William Walker on May 05, 2011, 03:26:47 am
I have always found that the best judge of a portrait is the subject of the portrait - what does she think of it? :)

From the technical side, I suppose it depends on your intention. ie Did you intend to leave her skin as sharp as you did? What were you trying to convey?

William
Title: Re: Portrait
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on May 09, 2011, 03:23:39 pm
Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts; it is appreciated. Problem here by the looks of things is my sharpening for web, something that I'm having had to relearn and experiment with. The thieves stole my sharpening action, which I found worked great for me, along with the laptop. Funny how lost one feels when you don't know what the result will be when posting.

William, the subject likes the photo, so does all her friends, but it is most probably due to the less sharp and bigger jpeg that I had mailed her.