Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 29, 2011, 04:56:15 pm
-
Something a bit different for me: environmental portrait.
A sliver of late-afternoon light, escaping through closed window shades, illuminating a programmer deeply concentrated on the code in front of him.
(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5670134441_edb3065702.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/5670134441/)
Concentration (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/5670134441/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
-
Interesting... The backstory of the subject being a programmer brings 'binary' to mind for me, and the narrow shaft of vertical light thus forms a '1' with 0 being the shade on either side. Which may or may not have been intentional!!
Mike.
-
Interesting... The backstory of the subject being a programmer brings 'binary' to mind for me, and the narrow shaft of vertical light thus forms a '1' with 0 being the shade on either side. Which may or may not have been intentional!!
Mike.
Heh... I wish I'd have such a power of pre-visualisation or pre-conceptualization, but in reality, I was just reacting to a cool way the light was falling on his face and the fact that he did not seem to notice or mind. Everything else is just a post-conceptualization (not that there is anything wrong with that).
-
Heh... I wish I'd have such a power of pre-visualisation or pre-conceptualization, but in reality, I was just reacting to a cool way the light was falling on his face and the fact that he did not seem to notice or mind. Everything else is just a post-conceptualization (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Wrong with it? Good Lord, it's the basis for much erudite gallery-speak, my own included!
Rob C
-
Slobodan
This is striking, very graphic. I'm thinking that it would work really well as a lead illustration for a magazine article, or indeed a cover picture. You have dealt with an extreme lighting situation rather well, but I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print? Not that it matters greatly - Bill Brandt used to be pretty cavalier with his highlights and nobody seemed to worry about it.
John
-
Slobodan
This is striking, very graphic. I'm thinking that it would work really well as a lead illustration for a magazine article, or indeed a cover picture. You have dealt with an extreme lighting situation rather well, but I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print? Not that it matters greatly - Bill Brandt used to be pretty cavalier with his highlights and nobody seemed to worry about it.
John
Never mind what he did to his women; bloody misogynist!
Rob C
-
... I am wondering if there is in fact any detail left in the highlights in your RAW file or print?...
Strange as it may sound, there is no clipping in the highlights even in the original RAW, though the green channel is close, but not exceeding 100% in the Lightroom. A tribute perhaps more to the modern cameras' metering algorithms than my skills (though, in defense of my 40 years of honing them, were I shooting film, and especially transparency, I would have most likely employed a spot meter for those highlights). Perhaps also a tribute to LR, as this is a Canon 20D file, noticeably better processed today than when it was taken originally.
-
Slobodan, I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like it. It's striking; no doubt about that, and it's different. Both pluses. I guess my problem is that I'm "retro," so the almost poster-like tone transitions bother me. On balance I think it's good work; just a bit jarring. Guess I've looked at too many HCB-style middle grays.