Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on April 28, 2011, 02:48:38 am

Title: Kamberg Farm
Post by: William Walker on April 28, 2011, 02:48:38 am
Hi All

I would like to submit this picture for your opinions.

Thanks
William
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: Dick Roadnight on April 28, 2011, 04:23:25 am
Hi All

I would like to submit this picture for your opinions.

Thanks
William
It is  nice, but I think that, like nearly all landscapes I see, it would have been better taken with half the angle of view.
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: John R Smith on April 28, 2011, 04:31:08 am
William

A very nice picture. You have good framing and composition, excellent light, interesting cloud shadows on the background hills, and you have picked your moment well. The view reminds me of Dartmoor in Devon. All in all, a thoroughly competent classic landscape. By-the-by, I disagree with Dick's comment - the angle of view is such that I feel I am sitting there on the grass, soaking in the scene. It feels natural, and I don't go around looking at the countryside through binoculars.

John
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: scrinch on April 28, 2011, 12:54:39 pm
Nice image. Great light, nice S curve leading into the subject.

I am between the two previous comments on the composition.  I think the image might be improved some with a slightly closer crop.   About 1/8 off the top, 1/8 off the right side, and 1/16 off the bottom is where my eye would take it.  I also might have burned the background slightly to counter the atmospheric haze.

Critiques are entirely subjective as you might surmise by the three different comments made here.  I feel the important thing is to look at the suggestions and then make your own mind up about what makes a stronger image.
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on April 29, 2011, 01:03:17 am
A very nice picture. You have good framing and composition, excellent light, interesting cloud shadows on the background hills, and you have picked your moment well. John

I aggree William.

Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: William Walker on April 29, 2011, 03:43:53 am
It is  nice, but I think that, like nearly all landscapes I see, it would have been better taken with half the angle of view.

It's funny you mention that - I was alternating between two lenses the whole afternoon, the 21mm with which I took this shot and the 77mm - which is my favourite lens. For some reason I only used the 21mm. I had to climb over a fence and poke the camera and tripod through a second fence to get the shot and perhaps that, along with the rapidly changing light, caused me to not try the 77. Having said that, I'm happy with the results of the 21mm. I would be reluctant to omit the dams on the left or the trees that are catching the light on the right.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I took this one further along the road with the 77mm.
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 29, 2011, 05:01:13 am
I took this one further along the road with the 77mm.
They're both very pretty scenes. I think that while you can get away with a fair amount of sky in the first, since it has interest, there's too much rather boring grey in the second. I'd suggest removing quite a bit of it, even if it gives the shot a panorama-type aspect.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: EduPerez on April 29, 2011, 07:31:10 am
I like them both, very nice.
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: scrinch on April 29, 2011, 07:53:28 am
I like them both also, but IMHO the second is the stronger shot.
Title: Re: Kamberg Farm
Post by: Dick Roadnight on April 29, 2011, 11:02:22 am
Another nice image...

I am glad you realize that my remark was intended to be constructive... it is often difficult to decide what to include, and to find a view point that allows you to get what you want into a rectangular shape - this is why I have a 10m tripod - to facilitate selection of a viewpoint which gives good composition of the main subjects... even if the foreground would not be good.

I was thinking that a viewpoint to the left of where you took the first photo would have given a view of the farm over the lakes... with a longer lens.

77mm is over three times 21mm, but my theory is to try to overcome this problem by having the ability to shift-and-stitch... I think I will get the Apo-Digitar 60, and, with stitching, that will give me a continuous range from 47, 60, 120, 150, ¿210? as all these lenses have large image circles suitable for shift-and-stitch.

It's funny you mention that - I was alternating between two lenses the whole afternoon, the 21mm with which I took this shot and the 77mm - which is my favourite lens. For some reason I only used the 21mm. I had to climb over a fence and poke the camera and tripod through a second fence to get the shot and perhaps that, along with the rapidly changing light, caused me to not try the 77. Having said that, I'm happy with the results of the 21mm. I would be reluctant to omit the dams on the left or the trees that are catching the light on the right.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I took this one further along the road with the 77mm.