Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Mr. Rib on April 25, 2011, 05:20:33 pm

Title: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: Mr. Rib on April 25, 2011, 05:20:33 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for a very sturdy, easily maneuverable studio stand which I'd like to use with large format technical camera and some medium format shooting. Can I get some real life feedback from you on Cambo UBS studio stands? From what I've heard they are one of the best in the league. True / false? Maybe some suggestions regarding what should I pay attention to? The stand would be used for fashion / widely understood product photography.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: jimgolden on April 25, 2011, 05:50:58 pm
foba hands down, but some cambos are nice. look for used, people dump them really cheap...
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: TechTalk on April 25, 2011, 09:59:13 pm
foba hands down, but some cambos are nice. look for used, people dump them really cheap...
I agree. Foba stands are much smoother and easier to adjust than any others I've used. You'll immediately notice the difference that all of those roller bearings make in having column and cross arm glide along with a finger touch.
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: JdeV on April 26, 2011, 04:56:42 am
Cambo are great and they do roller bearings too on their higher end models. Of course Foba are terrific but it depends on the model. A high end Cambo is superior to a low-end Foba but all will work well. I've also used an INKA which was good but I'm not sure about parts etc.

Personally I like a stand that doesn't change position too much when the feet/arm are locked, but they all do a bit.

Get one that's as high as possible for your studio and get a tray and a variety of attachments/arm extensions etc.
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: Paul Barker on April 26, 2011, 09:11:46 am
I haven't used a Cambo for a few years, that was a UST with geared arm. Nothing wrong with it at all. But I now use Foba and love it. Silky smooth operation and for stuff like fashion, you can balance it so it floats and with the long arm you can pull back, rotate, move in, raise and lower without having to move the base and column (just watch out for clients with the other end of the arm!). One difference is that the Cambo's arm rotates around the column. The Foba's column rotates at the base (depending on models etc.).

The best thing would be to try them out and see which suits your needs and budget. Cambo is great value and Foba costs more. You get what you pay for, apparently, all thing being equal.

Whichever you get, I'd option for a tray and low angle bracket.
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: jimgolden on April 26, 2011, 12:36:40 pm
i grabbed a 10' Foba Asaba off fleabay for $1k, another $1k to ship it, still less than $6k new...worth every penny
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: Mr. Rib on April 26, 2011, 05:11:12 pm
Thank you all for the anwsers. As I don't have the possibility to test it out before commiting to buy, I think I'll rely on your experience / opinions and go with a Foba.
Funny thing that you can spend more on shipping than on the actual item; shipping definitely is an issue here. Almost 200 kg? wow..
Title: Re: Best studio stand- Cambo?
Post by: ctz on April 27, 2011, 12:37:03 am
+1 for FOBA