Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: oolic on April 20, 2011, 08:35:44 am

Title: Canon Epson printers
Post by: oolic on April 20, 2011, 08:35:44 am
Came across this article,

http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/industry-news/epson-canon-supplies-disruption/

Richard
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: bill t. on April 20, 2011, 04:03:20 pm
Oh yeah, that's been on my mind.  Last week I freaked out and bought enough 8300 carts to last me up to the end of January.  It was a fair chunk of change, more than I paid for the printer!  Hey kid, first one's free!  At least it gave me the moxie to go for the more economical 700ml cartridges.

Please printer, don't get sick!  Pretty please!

Noticed all my 8300 carts are marked "Made in Japan" while the Epson 9880 carts have been mostly "Made in China" for a while now.  We photographers sure do depend on that little country, don't we?  Small world.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: dgberg on April 20, 2011, 04:43:54 pm
Came across this article,

http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/industry-news/epson-canon-supplies-disruption/

Richard
An advertisement disguised as an article. Very important subject matter regardless.
Cone sells some excellent products.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: bill t. on April 20, 2011, 05:15:30 pm
A couple years ago the Epson cartridge supply was backed up several weeks just ahead of the Xmas season.  It was very anxious-making.  Let's see...should I REALLY make this print?  Maybe this other image is a better use of what little ink I have left.  That's no fun.

To be comforting, carts don't seem to be out of stock at any of my suppliers right now.  But I remember the stomach acid all too well.

I did notice that cameras and lenses seem to have taken a jump at some suppliers.  Was looking for a D7000 body, it's inched up about $100 since a few weeks ago.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: dgberg on April 20, 2011, 05:35:29 pm
Your making me nervous. Nothing shuts done a printer faster then no ink. My 2 printers have a total of 22 700 ml carts and two thirds of them are half empty. I may have to bulk up just like Mr. Bill.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: Farmer on April 20, 2011, 06:29:58 pm
You would be better off reading Canon and Epson media releases on the subject.  The article makes some claims that are bordering on false and their motivation is to sell more of their own product.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: bill t. on April 20, 2011, 08:42:05 pm
When it comes to predicting supply chain problems for inkjet media and supplies, long experience has taught me trust my own worst suspicions more than either chipper official pronouncements or scary informercials!   :)

When I was buying lots of Epson cartridges in much better times than these, there were several instances when all my suppliers were simultaneously out of this or that color for one or two weeks at a time, and at least one major interruption.  I want some insulation against that.
Title: Re: Canon Epson printers
Post by: Farmer on April 20, 2011, 09:28:23 pm
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't stock up, Bill - it's always good business sense to ensure you have a month's supply I reckon.  However, the alarmist language used in that advertisement is very misleading.