Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: rgs on April 17, 2011, 11:54:51 pm

Title: Monitor Choice
Post by: rgs on April 17, 2011, 11:54:51 pm
I'm planning on replacing my aging Dell CRT with an IPS panel. I'm only planning on spending about $300 so the choices are slim but the budget just won't permit much more. I've found 3 23" candidates from Dell, NEC and Viewsonic. There's also a 24" HP that's about $400 that I might be able to do and would probably be my choice. If any one has any experience with any of these, I would appreciate comments. I would also appreciate any knowledge of similar monitors from other companies that I have missed.

Thanks
Richard Smith
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: howardm on April 18, 2011, 06:58:07 pm
and the specific model #'s in question?
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: rgs on April 18, 2011, 11:09:15 pm
Sorry. I didn't have model #s readily available when I made the original post.

NEC EA231WMi
Dell U2311H
ViewSonic VP2365wb
HP ZR24w
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: bill t. on April 19, 2011, 01:02:49 am
My wife has a NEC EA231WMi monitor.  It calibrates quite nicely with an i1Display2 using just the free software from the Xrite site.  I think maybe it's a 6 bit display, not sure.  But it looks good with Photoshop and has a very wide viewing angle.

I just bought an LG IPS LED "IPS236" monitor for under $250 at Best Buy.  Not at all bad for 23".  Will be a second monitor alongside the NEC2690.  Very nice looking screen, but I won't have the time to deal with it for another couple weeks.  Seems to have enough adjustment to reach a decent calibration, and a good menu system that won't make that too big a chore.  Looked pretty decent out of the box, was set for around 200mcd or thereabouts.

Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: JohnBrew on April 19, 2011, 07:12:14 am
Hi Richard, I recently replaced my old monitor with a Samsung SyncMaster PX2370. I purchased it from Amazon, very reasonable price for the performance. It gives great results, but the image is flattened a bit with the wide format which takes some getting used to. Good luck with your search.
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: schrodingerscat on April 20, 2011, 01:12:09 pm
My wife has a NEC EA231WMi monitor.  It calibrates quite nicely with an i1Display2 using just the free software from the Xrite site.  I think maybe it's a 6 bit display, not sure.  But it looks good with Photoshop and has a very wide viewing angle.

I just bought an LG IPS LED "IPS236" monitor for under $250 at Best Buy.  Not at all bad for 23".  Will be a second monitor alongside the NEC2690.  Very nice looking screen, but I won't have the time to deal with it for another couple weeks.  Seems to have enough adjustment to reach a decent calibration, and a good menu system that won't make that too big a chore.  Looked pretty decent out of the box, was set for around 200mcd or thereabouts.



Have the NEC 231 as well, purchased after a lot of research. It's an IPS panel with very even illumination and calibrates well. Good bang for the buck.
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: rgs on April 20, 2011, 04:46:02 pm
Thanks to everyone. I have discovered another choice. The LG IPS236V-PN is a 23" IPS panel with and LED backlight. It's being sold for around $250. It's pretty new and I have yet to find any reviews on it.

Richard
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: ErnestMcGill on May 07, 2011, 06:47:06 pm
So, how you making out?     Have you gotten any more info on any of these monitors?
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: The Doc on May 08, 2011, 10:55:02 pm
Review on the 22 (really 21.5inch) inch version of the LG here: http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-ips226v-p357_10200_35.html

Another monitor in your price range is the Dell U2211H, it gets good right up as well: http://www.digitalversus.com/dell-u2211h-p357_8771_88.html
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: Steve House on May 09, 2011, 05:34:23 am
While above the OP's preferred price point, has anyone any experience or knowledge on the Dell U2410 and/or U2711 wide gamut monitors?
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: hjulenissen on May 09, 2011, 09:37:37 am
While above the OP's preferred price point, has anyone any experience or knowledge on the Dell U2410 and/or U2711 wide gamut monitors?
I have got the U2711 monitor. Any specific questions?

I love the size and resolution. I am no big fan of the aspect ratio (16:9). I have resorted to using the emulated sRGB mode as I was unable to get reliable profiling using my spyder 3 express. Menus are ok, slow startup time is a bit annoying.

-h
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: bill t. on May 13, 2011, 02:38:40 am
Got a decent D65/140 calibration on the LG IPS236V which is definitely a heckuva bargain.  For$250 one can forgive the shabby but highly decorative stand and external power supply.

Very useable for most types of photo editing but maybe not for design, press proofing etc.  Would be a good starter monitor for a budget photo editing system.  Could be assigned to second monitor status later on.

My wife says it looks better than her EA231.  I point out how much more professional looking the EA231 is, she is unimpressed.  She says the IPS236 screen in "richer."  A showdown is at hand.
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: howardm on May 13, 2011, 09:35:43 am
A 'showdown' with your wife?  Just surrender now and avoid the anguish  ::)
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: AFairley on May 13, 2011, 08:41:32 pm
I have got the U2711 monitor. Any specific questions?

A number of negative reviews on Amazon about the screen coating.  What's your experience with that?
Title: Re: Monitor Choice
Post by: hjulenissen on May 14, 2011, 06:08:42 am
wrgt glare? my only window is behind the display, so I really did not test that.

-h