Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Glenn Bartley on April 14, 2011, 08:54:58 pm
-
Hi everyone,
I am just back from 3 weeks in wonderful Costa Rica. After my photo workshop concluded down there I stayed on for 5 extra days and had a wonderful opportunity with this Tiger Heron. Finding this guy in the low light as the sun went down presented some interesting opportunities to include the movement of the water in the image. I stopped WAY down to f/45 in order to get a 3.2 second exposure. I was very happy with the result :)
Any comments on this one are greatly appreciated.
All the best!
Glenn
(http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8632/barethroatedtigerheron0.jpg)
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 3.2 sec
Aperture: 45
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: On
ISO: 100
Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x
-
Gorgeous capture! Did the bird really hold that still for three point two seconds? I doubt you had a flash setup at the stream and with such a long lens :P
I hesitate to go f/16 and beyond due to diffraction on my small format cameras. How does this hold up at print size? Wouldn't it be better to use an ND filter - assuming you had one with you and had the time to install it of course :)
-
Very nice, Glenn. Every time I see one of your new photos, it takes my breath away. Being a birder makes me appreciate the beauty of the birds themselves; being a photographer makes me appreciate the difficulty of making these images.
-
Herons are the right ones to choose for slow exposures, as they do indeed sit perfectly still for long periods of time waiting for their prey to come close.
Another great shot, Glenn.
Eric
-
Excellent!
-
Excellent!
Another great capture Glenn! I always look when I see a post from you. Thanks for sharing.